Skip to content
Ongoing wrist pain
wrigley2012 posted:
Hoping someone can offer a suggestion or two. 40-some female. Occupation involved 6-7 hours per day @ computer. No work restrictions to date. Left Handed. Diagnosed in February with right wrist pain (believed to be tendonits (given splint). Went back 2 weeks later - OT referral. OT has been custom splint, 8 treatments of Iontophoresis - no improvement, then 3 treatments of ultrasound therapy. I went prior to going into ultrasound therapy I went 3 weeks without treatment 4/24 - 5/15 to see if the symptoms (pain near wrist bone) would cease on it's own. No luck. 5/16 primary referred me into Hand Clinic, consult with PA on 6/26. I felt like this was an extremely LONG wait. (private insurance through employer) but whatever.

When I get home at night - i want to do nothing. and that's what I do. I can't grip anything. Tempted to go back to primary to ask for MRI order - but is that a reasonable request without going to hand clinic first? OT mentioned for first time today I should be considered for work restrictions. perhaps that should have happened sooner? Just asking. I really like my OT - but I feel like I have been given the runaround.

Thx for advice.
annette030 responded:
If you like the OT, ask him/her what she/he suggests.

I had deQuervain's tendinitis in my non-dominant wrist and went through the same basic thing you have, but nothing helped and I finally had surgery. I wish I had done it first, I declined any preoperative medicine or drugs that would impair me afterward, the surgery took 7 minutes start to finish. I had been a nurse for years and wanted to watch, lol. I had one set of vitals taken and went home with my husband.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.