Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Chronic pain from years of endometriosis
    bonnie58 posted:
    I have a spinal cord stimulator & am worried for 2 reasons. 10It has been suggested 1st that it is contraindicated if you get cancer; tho now an electrician just stated it can cause cancer . 20 How bad is it that you can't get an MRI..example..if you want to diagnose a problem & it may be cancer; without the MRI, how good is a cat scan. It seems I am damned if I do & damned if I don't. Can you answer these fears?

ctbeth responded:
    Hi Bonnie,

There have been numerous studies about the safety of spinal cord stimulation.

"It has been suggested" is a lot different than "scientific studies have proven"

An electrician told you that you could get cancer from a SCS? I don't think an electrician should be making medical statements to you.

Ask your surgeon and, even better search for academic papers regarding spinal cord stimulation. I'm NOT talking a out reading peoples opinions, but actual academic papers

CAT scans with contrast are a fine diagnostic tool.

If you have cancer, there isn't any reason to have your SCS removed.

Really, where did all of this anxiety come from?

Were you not allowed to ask questions before implantation?

I suggest you ask your MD all of the questions that you have, read up factual scientific research , and pay less attention to things like, "it has been suggested" ( by whom, btw) and what an electrician says (regarding medical procedure)

Most of all, of SCS helps your pain become manageable, enjoy the pain relief

77grace responded:
    Hi bonnie58 ,
    Well ,first of all I think you are worried about something that may never happen !I know for me it's very helpful to live in today and not yesterday or tomorrow !
    I know for me I chose not to get it and also my Dr. agreed because I have tumors on my spine and they do grow slowly !
    (Thank God ) And I would not have been able to get an MRI and I need to every few years !
    Try not to let other people who are not really informed get to you !
    I agree,Enjoy the Pain relief .and tlak to your Dr. about your other concern!
    Take care ,77grace

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.