Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
SCS Trial - Im on day 5 and need help
amy129 posted:
Hey everyone,

Im 26 years old and when I was 14 I broke my back in gymnastics. Long story short, I have tried anything and everything to fix it. I have had to spinal fusions and those didnt work. I went to a new doctor and we tried S.I joints and a few other things. He then told me about this SCS surgery so I decided to try it. The good thing about this surgery is that you can do a trial for a week.

I recieved my trial on Monday and Im still having alot of pain from the actual procedure. Its the 5th day of the trial and Im wondering if anyone else has had this trial and what their experiance was with it.

My doctor put two leads in and the lead on my right side is working well and I can fell the tingling but the lead on the left side seems to be in the wrong place. When i was having the procedure I was awake and it was very painful. We are gonna talk to my dr about the monday and ask why he didnt put me to sleep. But during the procedure as they were putting the leads in and moving them around it gave me an awful sharp pain and when I move or sit a certain way I keep getting that same pain.

Basically if you have had the trial I want to know how to went for you? Were you having the procedure pain during the whole trial? If it worked for you were you 100% sure? Also when you had the trial taken out, what does that entail? Does it hurt? Thanks for your help!

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
Amy129,

Spinal cord stimulation is a treatment sometimes considered for patients who are still struggling with pain after undergoing back surgery, like the fusion that you mentioned. It is generally considered to be more effective in reducing pain that radiates down the legs than the pain in the back itself. If the stimulation that you are feeling during your trial is uncomfortable, then it is possible that the trial leads, or wires, are not in the proper place and this should be evaluated promptly. If indeed they are in proper alignment, then it is possible that your condition is not receptive to this type of therapy.

If the leads were placed percutaneously, meaning through the skin without an incision, then they can usually be removed quite easily by your doctor in his/her office. If they were placed with a surgical exposure, then you likely need to have the incision re-opened in a surgical setting to remove them.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Opana and sweating
I take Opana ER, Vicodin, Soma for arthritis pain and compressed nerve root. I also take Zoloft and Klonopin for depression and anxiety. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.