Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Neuropathy
An_257614 posted:
I am being treated for neuropathy in my bottom, back of my thighs and anywhere skin touches. I can hardly sit or walk. I have taken 600 mg gabapentin 5 times a day for over a year and just started 10 mg amitriptylin 3 times day. I am getting worse daily any suggestions.

annette030 responded:
Try acupuncture if you believe in it. Best of luck to you.

Take care, Annette

kzetmeir responded:
There is a lot of good info on non-RX topical pain relief based upon essential oil tech at ReunionPN.com Click on Articles at the bottom of any page.

cweinbl responded:
Pregbalin (Lyrica) is a better drug for neuropathy than is Neurontin. Ask your doctor about it. BTW, the condition within the family of neuropathy that you describe is actually called allodynia. It's a very confounding experience as the most benign touch can deliver unexpected pain. Good luck.
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

annette030 replied to cweinbl's response:
Lyrica didn't work for me at all but Neurontin does, go figure.

Take care, Annette

Peter Abaci, MD responded:
With skin sensitivity from nerve pain, there may be other ways of treating this beyond medications. As mentioned above by cweinbl, this is sometimes called allodynia, which means something is painful from a non-painful stimulus. We see a lot of this at my center, and we often employ what are called desensitization techniques to try to diminish the sensitivity. Some examples of this would include contrast baths, using parafin wax, clay, or making contact with textures like uncooked rice or lentils. Desensitization techniques can be found from a physical therapist or occupational therapist who can help guide you. You can ask your physician for a referral if it applies to your particular situation.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.