Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Pain Management Representation
    An_257671 posted:
    Hi, I am new to the group, but I was wondering if there was a group or organization that represents patients and doctors to help us get proper medical care? I have had numerous problems causing chronic pain and can not take NSAIDS due to a severe gastric bleed, heart stopped 3x and have had roux n y, bariatric surgery so I can never have NSAIDS again. Therefore, I am considered a drug seeker. My records were taken by the DEA because my previous doctor was arrested for prescribing too many drugs. Help, there should be something we can do. No doctor in that city will see me now because I was his patient yet, I was assigned to him by my insurance. I would gladly take any ideas.
    blessedladyptl responded:
    If you're being told you can't get a copy of your medical records because the DEA has them, you are being lied to. You need to go to that drs office and tell them that you want a copy of your medical records and that by Federal Law it is your right to have a copy if you sign a release form, have proper ID and pay for the copies.

    There is no such orgaization like the one you're asking about. There are different national organizations that are suppose to be working on changing laws. But, none that would be of immediate help to you. You may need to go to another city. Have you called your insurance company and asked them for other drs that take your insurance ? You also may have to accept the fact that you're going to have to start all over with a new dr, when you can find one who will take you as a new patient. When you call a drs office don't mention your previous dr, unless you are directly asked who your previous dr was or why you are looking for a new dr. If you are telling these drs or their office that you can't take NSAIDS, you will be flagged as a drug seeker. You have the choice of either jumping through the hoops we all have to jump through, or not being treated for you pain. Your new dr will have to have a copy of your medical records.

    Your Medical Records-

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.