Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Advice on talking with a doctor
    tom_1725 posted:
    I am a young male who has been on suboxone for around 7 months. I have struggled with opiate addiction in the past. I am however very high functioning, in college, have a job, a girlfriend and good family etc.

    I have been having chronic pain mostly in my legs starting about a year and a half ago when I started standing for long periods of time due to the job i had at the time. I have been tested for arthritis and got back mixed positive and negative results. According to a physical therapist I had, because my left leg is shorter than the right, it causes problems in the way I walk and has put my right hip out of place and puts strain on my muscles which causes muscle knots and tension.

    I am going to see a new doctor because the pain has seriously become debilitating, everywhere I go I spend the whole time trying to stretch and get rid of this tension in specific places in my leg that comes on every day.

    My question is, what to tell my doctor about me being on suboxone. It's obviously really embarrassing and it's something I am really ashamed to tell anyone, especially a medical professional who will make judgments on how to treat me based on my past behavior. I have spent years trying out all other options as far as pain relief and haven't found anything that works well for me. However, because I take suboxone, the only opiate that I would be able to take is tramadol. I feel like I would be prevented access to pain relief because of my lack of self control as a teenager (why I am on suboxone), if I told him I am on it. However, if I don't, he probably wouldn't prescribe me tramadol, and I feel like if I specifically request tramadol I would come off as a drug seeker.

    I feel like he will think I am lying about being in pain. Once my other doctors have found out I have used drugs in the past, they treat me completely differently and obviously make treatment choices based on the assumption that I am a drug seeker.

    Any advice or your own experiences would be so greatly appreciated.


    77grace responded:
    Hi Tom,
    I also had problems with addiction many years ago !Like you I started taking it as pesecribed and then when it did not work anymore the Dr. said well take 2 pills and try adding valium too! So I slowly became an addict !
    My question is ,are you still abusing or just bitting the bullet on these pills to make it seem o.k. ???
    Yes ,Suboxone is safe !Does it help your pain ??
    annette030 responded:
    You did not say how long you were addicted...Please be honest with any doctor you have contact with, anyone giving you opiates will probably drug test you anyway, so they will find out. How old are you anyhow?

    My husband used a "shim" in his shoe to even out his leg lengths, one was considerably shorter than the other. He says that it helped his pain a lot.

    Take care, Annette

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.