Skip to content
Advice on talking with a doctor
tom_1725 posted:
I am a young male who has been on suboxone for around 7 months. I have struggled with opiate addiction in the past. I am however very high functioning, in college, have a job, a girlfriend and good family etc.

I have been having chronic pain mostly in my legs starting about a year and a half ago when I started standing for long periods of time due to the job i had at the time. I have been tested for arthritis and got back mixed positive and negative results. According to a physical therapist I had, because my left leg is shorter than the right, it causes problems in the way I walk and has put my right hip out of place and puts strain on my muscles which causes muscle knots and tension.

I am going to see a new doctor because the pain has seriously become debilitating, everywhere I go I spend the whole time trying to stretch and get rid of this tension in specific places in my leg that comes on every day.

My question is, what to tell my doctor about me being on suboxone. It's obviously really embarrassing and it's something I am really ashamed to tell anyone, especially a medical professional who will make judgments on how to treat me based on my past behavior. I have spent years trying out all other options as far as pain relief and haven't found anything that works well for me. However, because I take suboxone, the only opiate that I would be able to take is tramadol. I feel like I would be prevented access to pain relief because of my lack of self control as a teenager (why I am on suboxone), if I told him I am on it. However, if I don't, he probably wouldn't prescribe me tramadol, and I feel like if I specifically request tramadol I would come off as a drug seeker.

I feel like he will think I am lying about being in pain. Once my other doctors have found out I have used drugs in the past, they treat me completely differently and obviously make treatment choices based on the assumption that I am a drug seeker.

Any advice or your own experiences would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tom

77grace responded:
Hi Tom,
I also had problems with addiction many years ago !Like you I started taking it as pesecribed and then when it did not work anymore the Dr. said well take 2 pills and try adding valium too! So I slowly became an addict !
My question is ,are you still abusing or just bitting the bullet on these pills to make it seem o.k. ???
Yes ,Suboxone is safe !Does it help your pain ??
77grace

annette030 responded:
You did not say how long you were addicted...Please be honest with any doctor you have contact with, anyone giving you opiates will probably drug test you anyway, so they will find out. How old are you anyhow?

My husband used a "shim" in his shoe to even out his leg lengths, one was considerably shorter than the other. He says that it helped his pain a lot.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.