Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Benefits denied bc I refuse to hippa signed over- med check
    An_258149 posted:
    My husbands insurance company has been sending me forms and questionnaires asking me to 1) sign over my Hippa right for individual drs, and 2 disclose medication info. It states that failure will 'cause a delay in benefits'. The insurance wants to monitor me and says will just be a brief questionnaire for the dr to fill out. I have been on 1 pain med for years but REALLY am never comfortable with signing any disclosure of confidential info. Today I found out I am suddenly not covered. No mention of refusal of benefits were directly mentioned in those forms and letters. The company is returning my call in the morning. Any idea if that can legally deny my coverage for failure to sign over my rights or refuse to be monitored?

forgetful88 responded:
    Have you called the customer service line to inquire?

blessedladyptl responded:
    Yes the can legally deny you coverage. This is becoming common for insurance companies. It is an attempt to reduce the overuse of certain meds and reduce prescription drug abuse. You can either sign the form or not be covered. You may be able to appeal it, but you won't win.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

neck/skull pain
    I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.