Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic pain prescriptions being filled, or not.
southernbelle99 posted:
Hello, I am a long term chronic pain patient. I worked ALOT of hours over 27 years managing my own fast food restaurant. Eventually, this was the end of my great health ! Starting in 1988, I bulged a disc in my lower back, but was young enough to recover well enough to go on. Over the years, things progressively got worse. I have degenerative disc disease, and have so far had cervical fusion, lumbar fusion, and soon will have to address my thoracic spine. I feel as though I am pretty tough, independent, and take care of my own. But, very slowly, over time, these back issues, along with repeated inguinal hernias, 12 so far, I am near bout defeated. I understand now my limitations. I cant hold down a job, and activities are very limited. It is definitely a wake up call. I have learned how to manage my pain, enjoy the pain free moments, have a team of great doctors, and do as they say. Things are NOT the way I ever thought they would be, but, with the Lords help, I am a survivor !! You cant let it win !! My life path is just different now not a failure. I spend more time with Church, and family, and volunteer when I am able. Never before did I have time for that. I definitely have severe bouts with pain, even though I am on some very heavy pain meds. I wish I didnt have to take them at all !! I have been having problems getting two of my scripts filled since January, 2014. I dont know if Obamacare has anything to do with it or not. I am ahead on my meds, but, going around trying to find which pharmacies have them isnt something I wish to do. I was using a small chain for all of my scripts, but, now, they tell me they arent able to get the two pain meds from their supplier? Walgreens and Walmart didnt have them either? CVS had them, but I had to go to two different ones to get them filled. Ever since January, CVS has filled them every time, no problem. My old pharmacy would hold my extra months scripts until time to fill them. I know, by law, they arent supposed to. I dont ask CVS to. I am very aware of keeping them safe until filled. It is very frustrating for chronic pain patients, especially those without a support system, to have to run around looking for their scripts. The stress alone can cause pain flare-ups. I pray for those who are having these problems.I want to get away from taking these strong meds!! I have had a slew of different treatments, some help, some do not, but you gotta keep trying !! My Pain Mgmt Team has protocols that I have to follow and I have no problems with that. They HAVE to have control over what they do. I do believe in my new team. I have been there for the past 5 years, and am having ALOT better results because I fully BELIEVE that mt doctor BELIEVES WHAT I AM TELLING HIM .They can read people. They know what they are doing. Just find you one that you can relate to and be honest with him or her. Thanks for listening and if anyone has any suggestions to help me, I am ALL EARS !!!! May God Bless you all !!!!

blessedladyptl responded:
We have to do what we have to do to get our meds filled. If you will talk to the Pharmacy Manager and ask them if they will order the meds you take for you each month, they may do it. You may have to call and remind them. You also have to be aware that ordered meds don't always come in when they're suppose to. This has nothing to do with the new health care law.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.