Skip to content
Too Much Medication?
An_258280 posted:
If someone is taking 6/60mg tablets of Morphine Sulfate ER daily, 16/15mg Oxycodone daily, along with a 100mg Fentanyl Patch every 3rd day, is this person over medicated and what are the possible side effects? The meds are for chronic pain in neck, back, and feet. The meds began 25 years ago with vicodine for the same pain issues. This person has an ileostomy and claims to need this quantity of meds as they pass through his system quickly and do not fully absorb.

An_255813 responded:
duh you are joking right? get this person in for an evaluation. I can not even imagine the damage done to this person health!!

cweinbl responded:
First of all, 16 tablets of 15 mg. Oxycodone in itself would seem very dangerous of prescribe. Add to that the morphine and Fentanyl and it makes no sense. So, I must ask for an honest answer. Does all of this come from one physician?

Admittedly, a person in chronic severe pain can gradually work up to large dosages of opioids. Thus 8 tables of 15 mg. Oxycodone per day could be achieved without dangerous respiratory depression. But you mentioned twice that dosage. I find it hard to believe a physician would prescribe it in addition to a 100 mcg. Fentanyl patch and morphine.

Most people with that much opioids in her or his bloodstream would stop breathing.

Could you be wrong about the medications or dosages?
cweinbl
csw2@bex.net

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.