Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tylenol and back pain
David Maine, MD posted:
Recent study in the Lancet suggest Tylenol does not reduce lower back pain. This despite some guidelines that reccomend as an inital treatment choice. What is your experience?
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/07/24/acetaminophen-doesnt-reduce-lower-back-pain-study-suggests/

Take the Poll

Have you used Tylenol to help with your back pain?
  • Yes - was helpfull
  • Yes, but did not help
  • Never
vote
View Poll Results

annette030 responded:
Tylenol has never helped me with any kind of pain, so I only keep it in the house for my husband. I use ibuprofen, generic of course.

Take care, Annette

blessedladyptl responded:
I have a neighbor who has DDD, nerve damage & RA. She has been taking 1,000 Tylenol every 6 hrs for over a year. It does not help her be able to walk or stand more than 10 mins, 3 times a day. But, it does help the problems she has developed due to having to be in bed almost 24 hrs a day. She receives Louisiana Medicaid and that won't pay for any form of pain management for chronic pain. She is also on disability for debilitating and pain physical conditions. There is a difference in regular low back pain and the pain from DDD. Although I wonder if some of the drs comprehend this.

rosielou responded:
I use Aleve or it's generic naproxen, it works well for me. Tylenol hasn't ever been effective for my back pain, or really anything for me.

My doc recommends staying away from Tylenol in general because it's in so many things. That way there's not too much risk of overdoing it. Like Annette we keep it around for my husband as he prefers it.

Rose.

annette030 replied to rosielou's response:
Aleve or its generic give me terrible stomach aches, ibuprofen in the generic form is both cheap and effective for me. I feel everyone must figure this out for themselves.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.