Skip to content
Methodone and klonipin
aubri222 posted:
I've been seeing my pain doctor for about a year. I have been put on methodone for the last 5 mts. Then out of the blue I get my script cut in half because just now I get told it's that dangerous! Why would u put me on it in the first place? Along with that I also take antidepressants. Why would I even be considered to take this medication? Should I find another doctor?

meaningfulc1952 responded:
Hi aubri222,
I have been taking methadone from my pain mgt. dr. for a long time now. I do not understand why your dr. would make such a change in your meds.

Maybe you need to find a new pain mgt. dr. if that is a problem.
Methadone works very well for my chronic to severe pain. At first when I started taking it I was a bit freaked out, but it works very well for me and for my pain.

I hope that you find a new pain mgt. dr. that will get you on the proper meds.

Meaningfulc1952

blessedladyptl responded:
According to the stats, those that OD & those that end up in the ER have been taking a combination of pain meds and benzodiazepines. Most drs are either not prescribing pain meds and benzodiazepines or are reducing the dosage of one of both.

annette030 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
I got this news at a class I took several years ago about pain management. I shared it here and got lots of grief from folks who were taking both opioids and benzos. Just be prepared, but know you do have my support.

Take care, Annette

blessedladyptl replied to annette030's response:
annette, a low dose opiate and diazepam worked better for me than anything else for many, many yrs. I never had any negative side affects from it. The problem is the other drugs that the patient is taking as well if the patient drinks and if they take any other subtances, illegal or legal, that the prescribing dr isn't aware of. Personally, I believe that patients should be treated as individuals and not as a group.

annette030 replied to blessedladyptl's response:
Which is why I usually tell folks to ask their own doctors what to do about specific drugs and doses.

I respect what doctors do, and that there is so much for them to learn. Which is why we have to go to such classes. I took Ambien for well over 15 years, a good part of the time I was on 15 mg. The dose now suggested for women is 5 mg. Even though I had NO side effects.at.all, and have since tapered off completely, I do not believe this drug should be handed out as freely as it used to be. This is only one example, I do not suggest specific drugs or doses. I do pass along the latest information if I feel it is appropriate. I do feel prescribing an opiate with a benzodiazepine fits.

Take care, Annette

aubri222 replied to meaningfulc1952's response:
Thanks so much for your response. My pain dr. Came in the 23 of July and out of the blue basically in a bitch mood. Needless to say I was crying before I left. He cut me down to 15 Mgs a day from 30. He said if I would get off the klonipin he would raise it back up. So I went again Friday last wk and not only did he cut me down even more he now says narcotics are not working for me? I'm so confused I don't know what to do. I was afraid to say anything because I figured he would not give me my refills. I'm so upset,I don't know where this behavior has come from. Not once did I say my meds were not working. Needless to say I hurting and don't know what I should do. I even told him my back had been totally out for 3 days. I've got to get another doctor. It's hard to find one close but I have to do something.

blessedladyptl replied to aubri222's response:
aubri, I seriously doubt if you're going to be able to find a dr who will rx you both meds. You may want to get off the klonipin and stay with your current dr since he said he would raise the Methadone back up if you got off the klonipin. You may not be able to find another dr who will rx you Methadone.

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.