Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prescriptions and Drug Tests
blessedfamily posted:
Does anyone here know or have experienced any prescription drug causing a urine drug test (was ordered by my pain mgment doctor for narcotic therapy) that would show positive for marijuana? I am VERY upset about this as I do NOT do any illegal drugs whatsoever and have no idea why this would show up on a test and if Lortab, Fentanyl patch, Amrix or Ambien would make a test show positive for marijuana, well my pain mgmnt doc should know b/c he prescribed these to me and knows I take them. Someone please help....trying to find out from the lab but if anyone would know a LEGAL drug that could make a test positive for an ILLEGAL drug it should be a pain mgmnt doc I would assume but he called me telling me it was positive for marijuana and he would not prescribe me any more of my regular meds b/c of this and that I had to come in and talk to him.....I am so upset b/c I have done nothing wrong and especially do not do illegal drugs! I don't even drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes....

SecretMe7 responded:
That's very odd. No, I know of NO prescription meds that would cause a marijuana (THC) test to show positive. I am familiar with drug testing and am also drug tested by my pain doc. And I do sometimes smoke marijuana and my doctor is aware of this. You however, sound quite sure and sincere about not being a user so I think that the only thing that could have happened is they didn't label your urine specimen and it got mixed up. Or, he was looking at someone eles's report in error. I would definitely call him (leave a message), and/or go in and explain. If you sound even half as convincing as you do here, he'll understand a mistake was made and give you a retest. You should actually offer to do the retest..... Take Care, talaine

annette030 responded:
Just go in and see him like he asked you to do. Explain to him as you did here, and see what he says. There is no way for any of us here to guess what he will do or say. I am not aware of any drugs that can cause a false positive marijuana report. Ask him if you can have a hair sample taken for analysis, this is the place where if you do smoke dope it will show up for the longest amount of time. If the hair sample is negative, then he will know the other test was incorrect. Take care, Annette

leigh_28 responded:
Hi There are NO prescription meds that contain THC, which is the compound found in a tox urine screen done by the lab for the pain unit doctors. Otheriwse they wouldnt be trialling dope for pain relief, they would be using the already available prescription that contained the THC... and there is no such drug available! Yet! If you do not take, or do illicit drugs, then it is obviously a mix up in the testing lab... this DOES HAPPEN, labs are not infallible nor are the contaminates on people when doing these screens... Pain docs will request tox urine samples if they suspect a patient is selling the drugs being prescribed or may be doing illicit drugs as well. So, if they requested a screen from another patient who may have been in the room before or after you, or has a similar surname etc it is possible it was a mix up. Or it could have gotten mixed up amongst dozens of others already sent to the lab that day! I would be requesting another urine test be done by you, for them, if you are 100% certain you have not smoked, accidnetally eaten or inhaled any THC from anywhere prior to going to the pain unit appt? You have the right to request another sample be done and if this doctor has doubts then offer him a blood test also and tell him you will be STRAIGHT IN as there has to be have been a mistake and ask him to repeat the test.. How long between the test done and him calling you to tell you it tested positive? THC will stay in the system for up to 6 weeks and can be found in the blood and urine in decreasing amounts during this time. I think if u have posted this on the message board, u are obviously open about the mistake, and rightfully upset, as I would be.. so request an immediate repeat of test and ask if any other tests that day came up positive, and if one of those tests was before or after your appt? Dont let it sit as it is, as this will only cement their suspicion, as when prescribing narcs they have to be very very careful following Stae health guidelines. Good luck.

cweinbl responded:
Actually, "leigh_28," there IS a drug that contains THC. It's called Marinol (Elan Pharmaceuticals). The active ingredient in Marinol is THC and it was designed to treat the nausea and weight loss accompanied by chemotherapy. Marinol can also be effective for treating chronic pain (off-label).

blessedfamily responded:
Thanks Charles, luckily I am not taking Marinol......got an "apology" call from the PM doc today - I was right - not on the mj! He got the refax from the lab and looked thru lab work again and saw no sign of thp...hope the figure out the right one who had the positive result b/c it wasn't me!!!! SO relieved to not have to deal with that drama or retake a test. Thanks all!

ttalaine responded:
What a relief and scare for you! Sorry you had to deal with it, but glad it turned out fine. dumb lab! Take Care,

DONJAN658 responded:
I am so happy for you!!!! The same thing happened to me, except ritalin, showed up in my test. After 3 years I was immediately thrown out from the pain clinic no questions asked. I was horrified, almost sucicidal, as I had never taken that drug, but no one believed me. Luckily, the NP at the the PC redid the test and it was NEG.! The nasty Dr. from the PC called me and told while (laughing). I told him I didn't think it was very funny, but I was welcomed back with open arms. People please take my advise if you are sure you did not take something prescribed for you, Have Them Repeat The Test! Otherwise you may end up going cold turkey off your meds, plus losing your dignity. Labs make mistakes everyday! Mine was Human Error! Thank you all for reading. I wish you all a future with no pain.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.