Skip to content
Upper Right Arm Pain
taitdog posted:
Hello everyone. Lately, I've been having a lot of pain in my upper right arm, in between my elbow and shoulder. Sometimes, my shoulder is effected as well. I'm fairly sure that the culprit for this is the fact that my job entails that I'm on the computer for close to 9 hours a day with only a half-hour break for lunch and minimal breaks during the day. I thought taking some time off would help but unfortunately, I can't get any time off until late August. I went to a rheumatologist (for something unrelated) and I told her about it and she figured it might be tendonitis and suggested putting heat on it. I did, and it helped, but it came back. I did some reading up on tendonitis and saw a lot of places suggested ice or cold packs. I tried that and, once again, it helped a little bit but the tendonitis kept coming back (and I think it gave me a cold). I've been using Naproxen (for something unrelated) and, yet again, that helps but it always comes back. I'm not on the computer much at home. I try to rest it when I can but it just will not go away. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this? Thanks.

littletwister1963 responded:
Sorry to here you are having problems. Have you ever had an EMG done? This may help diagnose the problem. I am not a professional anything just been through a lot of tests. I would ask my PCP about it and maybe they can refer you to the correct Doctor to have this EMG done. Good Luck and let me know how things turn out. Lori

_swank_ responded:
Go see an orthopedic surgeon and get a diagnosis. It's futile to try and treat something without knowing what you're treating. Shoulders are very complicated joints.

Dollbug responded:
Hello........MiMi in NC.....I would like to tell you that you need to go to a doctor about this.....I, too, had a lot of shoulder/arm pain.....my doctor sent me for a MRI of the neck.....but my neck did not hurt...I had messed up discs which was causing my pain....I got to where I could not even life my arm up to wash my hair and brush my teeth....I ended up having cervical (neck) surgery......I had a wonderful neurosurgeon and he told me I would get instant relief, if he did his job right.....(I thought to myself....right....I have never gotten instant relief from anything) .....but I am here to tell you....he was exactly right....and he also found more than what the MRI had indicated......but I am so thankful that I got the surgery done....it was a very rough surgery and recovery.....but it was worth it....no more shoulder pain.....I did end up and also had to have right elbow surgery....and I am still having some problems with it....but the surgeon also told me that this surgery would probably take up to 2 years to heal....it was a year ago this past April.....and I think he is going to be exactly right on this also... He told me he had no idea how my elbow got into such a shape.....but slowly but surely the pain also got better on it.... I hope you can find a good doctor who can help you get relief.....good luck and take care... I am usually on the FM board..... MiMi

_swank_ responded:
Funny, my neighbor also had to have elbow surgery for Cubital Tunnel Syndrome right after having neck surgery. He was told it was due to the position they put your arms in during the surgery. It compressed and damaged the ulnar nerve. He has yet to recover from that and damage may be permanent.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.