Skip to content
Scar tissue in the ankle
bigblu666 posted:
Hello all, first time poster and i come with a question that no one has been able to help me with sorry for the long read, i tried to break it up as much as i could As a little bit of a back story, when i was 18 i went to raging waters and fell through a step in a ladder and was my foot was cut into by about a 3 inch deep 3 inch wide triangular pattern I had kaiser at the time, i had my ankle operated on twice to no success. so they sent me to PT to try to get R.O.M and feeling back. Well i am 23 now and have since been through all the "hoops" kaiser sent me through, PT twice, chronic pain managment and nothing they were doing was anything to stop the pain. And when it still hurt like hell i got a letter saying, we are sorry we dont feel that you have sufficient pain to warrent more visits. long story short, i was pissed but just figured whatever and dealt with the pain, when it happened i was overweight ad was instructed by doctors to loose weight and maybe they would let me back in the program, this is where the catch -22 came in It was extremely hard to workout due to pain but the doctors didnt want to hear it and was basically told to "suck it up" so i have been for 5 years and havent really wanted to go back to kaiser well since then i have lost about 60 pounds and dramatically lowered my BMI so now im still overweight but NOWHERE near how heavy i was, this brings me to my problem over the past 5 years since the accident i have had scar tissue build up in my ankle, back when i was doing PT they said they could use ultrasound to break it up. That didnt work as well as I'd hoped (didn't really do anything at all)... then they told me there was nothing more they could do to release the scar tissue so i said ok and my doctor and i reached the conclusion that if it wasnt working, stop doing it Now to make matters worse i have so much scar tissue that my ankle can't "posture up" for lack of a better term and i have sense broken my ankle 3 times, once in football when i was doing a back peddling drill, once on a trampoline and once jogging, my ankle just buckled, and still does from time to time As you can imagine this makes working out/trying to lead a life extremely frustrating, i am currently doing the P90x program, and while i love it and will bear through the pain i would like to not have to and it seems the more weight i lose the more prominant and painful the scar tissue becomes. I was talking to my boss the otherday and he said he had a similar problem, and that he got his scar tissue removed (i assumed surgery, but there was no way in hell i was going to get another surgery by the same hospital and have them botch it again and end up worse) But he told me no, and he said that it was just a procedure where they inject some kind of gel? into the aflicted area, and then suck out the tissue via needle. When i heard this i became ecstatic and immediatly started searching the net but i couldnt find the procedure and all i did find was "use massage" or surgery. If anyone knows how scar tissue can be removed other than surgery and massage i would really appreciate the advice, as of now it looks like someone taped 2 golfballs on either side of my ankle and i would really like to get it gone and stop having to worry about breaking my ankle everytime i do something that involves using it

annette030 responded:
I have never heard of using any kind of gel injections to break up scar tissue. The best way to find out more about it would be to ask your boss the name of the doctor/hospital where this was done and contact them to find out more. The problem is that some people just make more scar tissue than other people do. Surgery always causes scar tissue, and no one really knows how much they will have until after they have the surgery and go through the healing process. It is great that you are losing weight. I would try aquatic exercise, less chance of injury to the joints. Stationary bikes that you pedal with your arms burn calories without causing harm to your ankles. High impact things like football, trampolines, and jogging clearly are a bad idea. You had a serious injury and you will never have the ankle you had previous to that injury and surgery. I don't know about the P90x program, what is it? Take care, Annette

_swank_ responded:
I agree with Annette. I've had to have scar tissue removed from my ankle three times. One time the internal sutures didn't dissolve and formed a huge wad of sutures and scar tissue. My doctor was a bit grossed out when he pulled it out. Of course, having surgery to remove scar usually results in more scar tissue. I dealt with it partly because the scar tissue wrapped around a nerve and kept creating very painful neuromas which had to be removed. Bottom line, you'll probably have to have surgery to remove the scar tissue but if you do, know that it probably won't be a permanent fix. Every time I've had the surgery it was a great relief partly because the neuromas were removed. The surgery is relatively minor and not overly painful. See a podiatrist. They are experts on feet and ankles and often do things differently than orthopedic surgeons.

bigblu666 responded:
Ya the problem is my boss doesnt know the name of the procedure, he said he gets it done in menlo park Ive asked around and everyone locally seems to know what im talking about but noone can provide a name for the procedure, i just thought id ask here because i am a little skeptical about doctors because of the 5 year drag along with kaiser. And over that time i went through 3 podiatrists the "best" they had in the department and p90x is basically a high intensity workout program that changes often and never lets your body "plateu" so it burns more quicker Thank you for taking the time to respond, have a good day

bigblu666 responded:
thank you swank, ill try to call another hospital and see another podiatrist. I have never gone to an orthopedic surgeon and mostly hung out on the podiatry line. In fact they are the ones that suggested UltraSound and then became speechless when that didnt work

bigblu666 responded:
My boss and i ran another search and he came up with a laminectomy, i know thats for a back but according to what he got it is the same concept just differant area/bones So i just called my doctor and made an appointment, so hopefully all goes well and i can get it done soon

_swank_ responded:
A laminectomy is a spinal procedure. It has nothing to do with injecting gel and sucking out scar tissue. Your doctor is going to give you a funny look if you suggest doing that. Just get a good doctor and let him make the suggestions.

annette030 responded:
Your boss must know the name of his own doctor??? You could call the doctor's office directly and get the name of the procedure. So, is the P90x a workout program for losing weight then? Do you get permission from your doctor to make sure your body is up to this workout? Take care, Annette

annette030 responded:
A laminectomy is the surgical removal of bony parts of the vertebrae, performed to relieve compression of the spinal cord. It is not anything related to an injection to break up scar tissue. Take care, Annette

cweinbl responded:
"Laminectomy" means (literally) removal of the lamina, a bone surrounding the spinal canal. This term cannot be applied to the ankle. The surgical removal of scar tissue is called "lysis." It can be performed laproscopically, when appropriate. However, removal of fibrosis (scar tissue) is considered unethical by many physicians, because at least as much new scarring is likely to grow back, if not more. You could end up in worse shape than you are now.

annette030 responded:
I just saw the infomercial for the P90x exercise program. This is a VERY vigorous workout program, please get your doctor's permission to do it, or his suggestions on how to modify it to make it safe for you. Take care, Annette

annette030 responded:
Doing "lysis of adhesions" or a surgical removal of scar tissue is difficult because of what Charles mentioned, many people just regrow more scar tissue. Some doctors do it successfully though, a friend of mine had it done after abdominal scarring inside due to a C-section, and after the first two surgeries to clear up scar tissue, she did do worse. After the third one, she did fine. Her surgeon told her to forget all the stuff they had taught her about getting right up and moving postop. She was on bed rest for two weeks after surgery, only getting up to the bathroom. Then she was only allowed to very slowly increase her activity. I don't know if he was right, or if "three's the charm". But it has been 25 years and she has done fine ever since. I think the magic is in picking the right patient, at the right time, doing the right procedure, AND lucking out. I think I would probably only have it done if it were coming up on an emergency if I didn't have it done. Take care, Annette

p23recruiter replied to annette030's response:
Hello. One thing you may want to seriously considering before opting for another surgery is to find a chiropractor who is certified in ART. Not just any chirpractor would help. It needs to be one who is certified in active release therapy. I have a similar problem in both my ankle and my hip due to an injury from my teen years. I am now 36 years old and have struggled with it off and on over the years. A lot like yourself, I just sucked it up for years and thought my pain was just something I had to deal with. However, after utilizing ART, I am able to lead a much more active lifestyle.

nathaniell responded:
I know it sounds weird, but acupuncture might be able to help. The stick needles in the area and either electrify or burn them. I think most places will use a machine to send pulses (electricity) to the area. This will promote blood flow and combined with massage, can break down the scar tissue. I used it as part of therapy for nerve damage I had on a broken leg. My leg was swollen and bruised as well but this seemed to help.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Every Chronic Pain Patient Needs to READ THIS!!!
There is a group of thirty seven Doctors, Companies. and Researchers that are petitioning the FDA to change the labels on Opiates so that ... More
Was this Helpful?
45 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.