Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Chronic Back and Knee Pain! PLEASE HELP WITH SUGGESTIONS!!!!
    chriatinamh78 posted:
    My name is Christina and I suffer from CHRONIC back pain due to being hit by a car while ridding my bike to work, which caused me to have a slipped disk! I also suffer from CHRONIC knee pain from a separated ACL that is literally hanging by a thread! I am a former addict who has been sober fro 19mo.s now! I need help with suggestions on locating a pain med that is a Non-Narcotic and that is Non-Habit former BUT that will help stop the pain or help reduce it! I am in SEVERE pain and REALLY need help! Please! If you have any information Please email me @!
    Thank You So Much!
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 18 found this helpful
    _swank_ responded:
    Here's the good news. ACL tears can be fixed. I tore mine in half and walked on it for 17 years because they didn't know how to fix them back in those days. But once I was able to have it repaired I did. Go see an orthopedic surgeon and have it taken care of instead of throwing pain meds at it forever.

    What did your doctor tell you to do about your back? There are a whole lot of things that can be done besides taking pain meds. You really haven't given us enough information about what kind of doctors you've seen and what you've done so far to help your back.
    thebirdman responded:
    Christina sounds terrible. Have you considered any alternative therapies for the pain? I'm from NJ and used PRP for some pain and it made a big difference. Don't think the procedure used any drugs. Only other thing I could think of would be cortisone.
    micmaust responded:
    Your situation sounds difficult. I hope you are seeing a doctor about it. I have a long history of pain issues and have tried about everything. I have had two spinal fusions, with varying success. The cervical fusion was miraculous, the lumbar, not so much. I do use narcotics as well as the other medication I suggest.
    There are drugs that help that are non-narcotic. For example, Lyrica or Neurontin help with nerve pain, Cymbalta, an antidepressant helps by keeping more neurotransmitters circulating which helps with pain. Celebrex is a long acting anti-inflammatory drug which also helps. Ultram is a non-narcotic pain reliever that acts like a narcotic and helps many. Personally I don't like it because it makes me jittery. If you are seizure prone it is contra-indicated. Zanaflex is a muscle relaxer that also helps if muscle spasms are an issue.
    I know recovering alcoholics who use narcotics for chronic pain, and as long as you only use them as directed, the risks of addiction are marginalized. However, physical dependence is going to happen if you use them regularly. Anyway, that's what I have to offer. I wish you well, and hope you have gotten your pain under control.


    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.