Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What helps me
YumaMamaLama posted:
What has helped me the most is to do a little charity work. Since I can get out and about, I joined a couple of knitting groups where I knit for organizations that will help people stay warm (hats, scarves, and mittens) and for a battered women's shelter (slippers for women and children). I'm a pretty crummy knitter -- that is, nothing fancy, no expensive yarns, just little projects. I don't limit my knitting to doing it just in the groups, but do it at home, too. I find free patterns online. If there's some stitch I can't do, I go to You tube or look on yarn sites, such as Lion Brand or Red Heart.

This doesn't make me feel saintly, but it does help me keep from feeling useless.

The way I found out about the groups was that I founds a site called Meetup.com. They have groups in most big cities and lots of little ones. And there are groups on every possible interest -- from hiking to board games to reading groups to. . . . Just getting out among people helps me.

There are all kinds of things a person who can get out can do -- read to kids at a library, visit people in nursing homes, whatever.
Was this Helpful?
3 of 6 found this helpful

annette030 responded:
I also do volunteer work, always have but to a much smaller extent while I was working and raising my son. It has saved my sanity. It makes me feel more useful generally also.

Since I stopped working, I have volunteered tutoring reading to adults, helping check in books on the computer at the local library, at a food bank, nine years twice a week at a free clinic as a nurse, now at the animal shelter once a week taking adoptable dogs outside for a bit.

Everyone can find something to do. One community I lived in even had a program for the housebound. They would call each other once a day to make sure they were okay. Kids at schools need tutoring. Reading at the library to kids is easy to do once a week for most folks. If you are of a religious bent, check at your house of worship. Just do it!

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.