Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    chronic pain
    jpinmiss posted:
    first off if youu are seeing your primary care doc. , stop.
    The fed. drug agency will only allow him to prescribe low dosage medicine for pain,'
    Second, find yourself a well reccomended spinal bone doctor. Go to him with your history. He will get you your mri for determining your problems and then can start you on right path to treatment or surgery if heeded.
    I have had back problems for 26+ yrs and finally had to do lumbar fusion in 2000 and getting ready to go up my spine for five more vertabre.
    Pain meds fro chronic pain will not make you an addict. You will become dependent on them for a near nornal life, because you aren't using them to get high/stupid. Best of luck
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 8 found this helpful
    CTBeth responded:

    "The fed. drug agency will only allow him to prescribe low dosage medicine for pain..."

    Where are you getting this info?
    Can you cite a link supporting this statement?

    Many of us are treated by pain management MDs for medication management.

    I wonder what you mean by "spinal bone doctor."

    In my experience, surgeons are not the best option for long-term pain med management.

    I do not consult with an orthopedist at this time, but, when I had, she referred me to pain management specialty rather than "spinal bone doctor".

    Are you recent post-op? Many times the surgeon will manage your pain meds for the initial post-op period, then recommend you to pain management if necessary.

    Every person is different. It sounds as if you've suffered a long time before getting some relief.

    I hope you're doing better now- just curious as to some of the things you're saying.

    Thanks, and get well soon.
    klbrooks responded:
    Some of us live in areas where there is no pain management doc so we are relegated to see our primary care docs for pain management.

    I have worked in healthcare for 40 years and have never heard of the "feds" regulating at the level you suggest. I too would like to see where you got this info.

    Thanks. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    annette030 responded:
    My pcp doctor has ALWAYS managed my pain, it has been well over 15 years that I have been treated for FMS, and migraines before that. I have been prescribed around the clock opiates for over 15 years now. I have no idea what you mean by a "low dosage", the dosage varies from person to person and over time also. Tolerance is usually the case with opiates, and over time everyone will need a higher dose to get the same effect. But, this varies a lot, I have only needed increases in my dose every 2-3 years at most.

    The federal agencies do not have a dosage level for opiates when prescribed by pcps to my knowledge. Where did you get this info, please post a link if you have one?

    This sounds more like what poorly informed doctors tell their patients rather than just saying they don't feel right about increasing a dose. It is frequently blamed on the FDA or some other federal agency. It is my understanding that if a doctor sees his patients regularly, and documents their cases properly, there is little to worry about with federal agencies. Some doctors either don't want to take the time to do that, or are not given the time by their employers.

    Take care, Annette
    cweinbl responded:
    There is no federal law that prohibits family doctors, internists or any other type of physician from prescribing any drug, including the most powerful narcotics (ex Schedule II drugs). I think that you have been misinformed.
    Anon_57995 replied to cweinbl's response:
    i have heard this urban myth for far-too long.

    thanks for putting it to bed, in parlance.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.