Skip to content
RSD and Dealing with the crap
proof43 posted:
I have found that 8 hours of sleep will not happen. Instead I sleep in 2-3 hour shifts. If the sheets hurt, uncover from the bottom of sheets up.

I have been on pain meds for 5 years or more. I am currently on MS contin, 60mg X2 a day. the controlled release is great. I back it up with 5mg ocicodone, three tabs 4 times a day as needed.

The pain I feel most often is like walking on shards of glass, and a god forsaken burning. Seek help, as most of us think about an end, but yet we make it another day.
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

ultrapain responded:
I have 15 years experience with RSD. I joined this site just to tell you that Methadone will probably help. Different things work for different people but methadone has a "reason" it works for neuropathic pain. Do a search on it and you will find it discussed. It has neuropathic effects where the other narcotics do not. It is not a cure but made a big difference for me. I can sleep through the night now - 8 hrs.

I take it 3 times a day - 10 mg a dose. It is very cheap and few doctors will refuse it because it does not offer a feeling of being "high". The only problem may be that you doctor is two conservative and does get the sense of it. It may help to show them documentation for it.

God Bless,
Ernie

braumeisterbob responded:
What is RSD? I feel that I am being burned alive!! It gets so bad that I often black-out and occasionally pass-out from the pain.

annette030 replied to braumeisterbob's response:
RSD stands for reflex sympathetic dystrophy.

angelinpaintoo responded:
Ive just been diagnosed with RSD in the last year after several years of nerve blocks, stellate gangular injections, steroid injections and rhizotomies on my neck. I injured my shoulder in 2007 with the first of four surgeries in 2008. This is surgery was my doom. Ive been prescribed just about every pain medication available over the years, the last being 90mg hydrocodone 3x's daily. Ive never taken the full dose just lil by lil throughout the day. Never being able to get a full nights sleep. I am finally up to taking over half of the capsule about twice a day. I am nearly completely incapacitated at this point as the medication is not doing much for my pain any more. My pain management doc has ordered another EMG and MRI, my pain has increased since a rhizotomy on my neck in April. I think I have built up a tolerance to the pain meds as I have been on the same one for about 5-6 years now. I have discussed this with my doctor even prior to the rhizotomy, he offered 10mg of oxycotin 3xs a day for 10 days. This helped a little but Im back to 24 hour a day pain. I am sleeping maybe 3 hours a night, rarely catching a nap during the day. I am a single mother of 3 plus 2 other children Im raising all of whom I love with all of my heart. I cant find anyone family or otherwise that understand the deep deep depression and feelings of inadequacy as a woman mother friend daughter etc. I feel every day. My kids are phenomenal, loving and more forgiving than I would've been at their ages. I cant tell you the times they help me out of bed or wait patiently for me to do the basic of tasks. I sometimes hear my older children (one 21 and on her own) talk about the days before moms injuries...they don't say it but I know the younger kids feel cheated I know they're thinking about all the times we order pizza while listening to the great meals I use to prepare. I don't know how to heal while in so much pain. Ive gained weight, I sweat like crazy, Im mean as hell, I don't drive because its too painful, I cry every night when Im alone, when the pain causes tears I hide them from the world. I feel like people think Im just an addict. Im 42 I don't drink, no prior drug use or abuse, Im overwhelmed with guilt. The physical pain along with the pain in my heart and broken spirit is almost unbearable

finn2 replied to angelinpaintoo's response:
I feel so bad for you! I wake up from pain all the time now too, I'm on opiods and have been for about 5 years, I think my meds need to be increased or rather changed to something else for awhile, and then go back to what I take at lower doses and work back up again, if that's how it works. I'm afraid to ask for that, I would maybe be in more pain for awhile, or maybe never get back what I take now which helped a lot up until recently. either I'm too used to it or the pain has increased. So I can't sleep long either and am doing less and less again. And I've gained 10 lbs back in the last 6 months, when I started pain meds, I actually lost 30 lbs as I was active again. But I don't have all the children you have to raise and all that care to give to others. I envy you, the children, but not your inability to do what you want to for them, my heart feels for you. I hope someone can help you find relief from pain!

annette030 replied to angelinpaintoo's response:
You do not sound like an addict to me. Just an undereducated person with chronic pain.

Hydrocodone only lasts a maximum of four to six hours, it is crazy to think that it would last the whole night. For opiates to work you must pick the correct one, please speak to the doctor who prescribes the hydrocodone about what to try next.

You would be surprised what a difference a good night's sleep will do, if you still feel depressed, again, please speak to your doctor.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to finn2's response:
Please read the above post.

Take care, Annette

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

medication
Hi! I hope this finds you feeling better I know finding the right meds are hard. I agree with fentanyl being strong...have they ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.