Skip to content
neck/skull pain
care4earth posted:
I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running up the back of your skull between the scalp and skull? If so, a nuerologist explained to me that there is amajor nerve( the occipital nerve) that comes out the spine in the cervical area, passes between 2 bands of muscle and then up to the back of the skull. When you have neck arthritis( I do also) the muscles tighten to stabilize the neck, squeezing the occipital nerve. Things that have helped me: capasin cream (this gives a mild sunburn type feel but does relive the more difficult pain), a cream called PharmX Relief(I get this from a naturapathic MD), chiropractic, and I have hydrocodone for the worst days, and noritrypline (an antidepressant: they have found the nerve pathways for pain and depression are the same.) I keep looking for a longer lasting solution. My pain dr., an orthopedist, has suggested a nerve block. Has anyone had experience with that?
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.