Skip to content
neck/skull pain
care4earth posted:
I have exactly the same pain problem from the sound of it. Does it feel like a hot slicing pain in the neck and an irritated nerve running up the back of your skull between the scalp and skull? If so, a nuerologist explained to me that there is amajor nerve( the occipital nerve) that comes out the spine in the cervical area, passes between 2 bands of muscle and then up to the back of the skull. When you have neck arthritis( I do also) the muscles tighten to stabilize the neck, squeezing the occipital nerve. Things that have helped me: capasin cream (this gives a mild sunburn type feel but does relive the more difficult pain), a cream called PharmX Relief(I get this from a naturapathic MD), chiropractic, and I have hydrocodone for the worst days, and noritrypline (an antidepressant: they have found the nerve pathways for pain and depression are the same.) I keep looking for a longer lasting solution. My pain dr., an orthopedist, has suggested a nerve block. Has anyone had experience with that?
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

tramodol
have taken tramadol several times...i have seen no benefits to this med...extremely weak pain med More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.