Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mind Body Prescription
pplayer posted:
To An_223680...
I too am looking into "morphine induced hyperalgesia" as a possible reason for the sudden "pain syndrome" in which I find myself. However, I believe there can be more than ONE answer/problem for yours and my (as well as others) situation.
I was recommended a book written by a doctor in New York, named John E. Sarno. The book is called the "MINDBODY PRESCRIPTION". I was/am so desparate to get OUT OF PAIN that I was/am willing to try ANYTHING! So I immediately went to the local book store and picked up a copy. In reading this book, I am the "poster child" for much of what he explains!
I had 3 ruptured discs in my neck with moderate to severe spinal stenosis for 8 years. Then I was in a car accident where I hit the mountain with my cruise control set at 70mph. The neck issue immediately progressed in pain and MRI's, CT scans and regular x-rays showed my spinal chord was dying....and parts of it were not receiving ANY spinal fluid to it at all! I was also systematically becoming a quadraplegic as the nerves were not able to send the message to my leg and arm muscles to react. I could jump off a 1 foot ledge and not be able to catch myself! (And I weigh in the 120's)
So I had the surgery to correct the injury and had an EXCELLANT doctor who gave me 100% success! I have NO PAIN in my neck....the first time in 10 years (even tho I was on Morphine for those 10 years)and was healing beautifully.....until I "all of a sudden" came down with a case of Fibromyalgia! SAY WHAT???? You've got to be kidding?!?!?!?! I am NOT a hypochondriac....and I DON'T NEED OR WANT attention....especially for being in pain!!!
Without spelling out the entire book, the premise of this doctor's studies are that deep unconscience (not subconscience) feelings can cause your BRAIN to think it's doing you a favor by actually GIVING you a condition that is full of pain! He is NOT saying your pain is psychosomatic!!! The conditions he lists even includes CANCER! But the gist is, in order to spare you having to deal with these unconscience mental issues of accumulated rage resulting from stressful events in your life or even traumatic life experiences, the brain will give you a PHYSICAL INJURY?SICKNESS such as herneated discs, fibromyalgia, allergies, migraines, TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome, back pain, arteriosclerosis, hypertension, autoimmune disorders and even cancer. And what the brain creates....the brain can fix.
It's a GREAT book and well worth the read! Also look up on Google "Guided Imagery for Healing". It's free and it actually works! The better you get at it...it can make you FEEL like you just took a healthy dose of narcotics!!!! Plus it's "training your brain" to heal your body! PERIOD!
Just some other ideas of how you may approach your desparate sounding situation.
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

Severe Chronic Pain Lowers Life Expectancy
Previous research has demonstrated a clearly negative influence of chronic pain on health. Now, a new study portrays a profound link ... More
Was this Helpful?
167 of 199 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.