Skip to content
Patient Advocate
Nitalynn posted:
I tried posting this once but do not see it so I am posting it again. I apologize if it turns out a double post. You need to request a patient advocate to help you sort through the medical information. He/she can help you decide if you want to request second opinions which is your right.
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

ctbeth responded:

do you want to tell us about your patient advocate experience?

if so, cool, but NOT cool to show up and tell US what we need.

Anon_2912 replied to ctbeth's response:
I did not read the blog as it "telling us what to do".

The indication was "you can get a second opinion & who might be able to help".

No reason to reply rudely.

ctbeth replied to Anon_2912's response:
"You need to....." is, indeed, telling us what to do.

Anon_2912 replied to ctbeth's response:
I guess I read it differently than you do.

To me it is not any different then reading or typing " you need to ask or talk to your doctor".

I don't take as being told what to do, I take as maybe an option or an idea.

ctbeth replied to Anon_2912's response:
Believe me: I stand where I sit, in Brit speak.

While I was waiting in my neuro-surgeon's wait room, between fusion #1 and #2, this pretty little woman showed up and said that she was my advocate.

I did not ask for an advocate, had already been through a few neuro-surgeries, and am an RN. I really did not want not did I need an advocate.

She told me that she would come into my MD appt to, "explain and answer questions."

I told her that my I do not want her to come into my appt, I do not want an advocate and, if there are things that I do not understand, I will ask my MD to explain, thank you".

She got pushy and I had to request, in a very strong way, that she leave.

It did not take long for me to discover that she was, indeed, sent by the Worker's Comp insurance to attempt to gain my trust and, I surmise they hoped, that I would confide to the advocate that I was faking my spinal cord injury (however one does that).

So, when a person who has not ever posted in this community comes by, posts in three places that we all "need" an advocate, then does not return to elaborate or explain, my response is suspicion.

Worker's Comp will go to no method too lowly to use as rationale to deny injured workers benefits that they deserve.

If in doubt, ask your atty, but do know that these insurance "advocates" sent by workers comp are NOT there to help you!

davedsel57 replied to ctbeth's response:
Hi, Beth.

Again I totally agree. Beware of anyone that says they want to help you. Insurance companies that represent companies in Workman's Comp cases do not have your best interest at heart. All they care about is the bottom line and protecting their assets. When they send an 'advocate', they are only concerned about not paying you for your claim.

You did the exact right thing by refusing that woman's "help".
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

Featuring Experts

Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

Helpful Tips

how do you live with chronic pain
how do you live with pain everyday More
Was this Helpful?
42 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.