Skip to content
Patient Advocate
Nitalynn posted:
I tried posting this once but do not see it so I am posting it again. I apologize if it turns out a double post. You need to request a patient advocate to help you sort through the medical information. He/she can help you decide if you want to request second opinions which is your right.
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

davedsel57 responded:
Can you give us more details? How does one find a patient advocate? How much does it cost to employ their services? Does health care insurance cover the cost?

Perhaps you can provide links to information about this service.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

ctbeth responded:
What are you talking about?

I think moist of us can decide if we want a second opinion without an advocate.

Are you talking about Worker's Comp sending in a pseudo advocate?

These people, hired by the insurance company to work against the patient, are a very disturbing, dishonest, mis-leading entity that should be criminalised.

Yes, you posted this twice.

If anyone does not understand the "medical information", please ask your MD or health care provider to explain or answer your specific questions.

Beware of anyone representing himself/ herself as your advocate!

davedsel57 replied to ctbeth's response:
I wholeheartedly agree, Beth. My wife is in the throws of dealing with a back injury at work that happened on 3/11. Her doctors have said she can no longer work and is 100% disabled after over 18 months of various treatments. The company and their insurance company are fighting her claim. She has a hearing on 1/3/13 and we hope we will see victory then. Trust no one in a case like this.

To the original poster: This posted multiple times and is very confusing. Beth has replied to several of your posts. Please reply to this one so we can better understand what you are trying to say.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

Dave

ctbeth replied to davedsel57's response:
Believe me: I stand where I sit, in Brit speak.

While I was waiting in my neuro-surgeon's wait room, between fusion #1 and #2, this pretty little woman showed up and said that she was my advocate.

I did not ask for an advocate, had already been through a few neuro-surgeries, and am an RN. I really did not want not did I need an advocate.

She told me that she would come into my MD appt to, "explain and answer questions."

I told her that my I do not want her to come into my appt, I do not want an advoacte and, if there are things that I do not understand, I will ask my MD to explain, thank you".

She got pushy and I had to request, in a very strong way, that she leave.

It did not take long for me to discover that she was, indeed, sent by the Worker's Comp insurance to attempt to gain my trust and, I surmise they hoped, that I would confide to the advocate that I was faking my spinal cord injury (however one does that).

So, when a person who has not ever posted in this community comes by, posts in three places that we all "need" an advocate, then does not return to elaborate or explain, my response is suspicion.

Worker's Comp will go to no method too lowly to use as rationale to deny injured workers benefits that they deserve.

If in doubt, ask your atty, but do know that these insurance "advocates" sent by workers comp are NOT there to help you!

HealthAdvocate replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Dave. I will post some links to help you answer your questions you posted. If I could be of any assistance, don't hesitate to call or email.

How does one find a patient advocate?
AdvoConnection is a great resource to help locate a professional health advocate in your area. Some advocates are able to work telephonically to help you meet your needs.
Like CTBeth said, you may not need to hire a advocate however they are available for professional advice.
http://www.advoconnection.com/

How much does it cost to employ their services?
Services cost range from $50 to $200 in some areas. Some advocates charge case by case.

If any financial issues- Patient Advocate Foundation sometimes can help you with patient access issues. Visit their site for more information on assistance.
http://www.patientadvocate.org/

Does health care insurance cover the cost?
Health insurance currently does not cover for a private professional health advocate. However, your best bet is to contact a case manager who are hired by the insurance company to provide you health advocacy. I recommend you do contact them to see if they can align with you to help you with your issues. They can be very resourceful. Ask me, I was a case manager for 15yrs with UnitedHealthCare. I loved advocating for patients.

Perhaps you can provide links to information about this service.
Here are other sites that are helpful in locating Professional Health Advocates.

http://nahac.memberlodge.com/

Hope this was helpful. If you need my contact information or how to reach.
www.socalhealthadvocates.com.

David Sandhu, RN, BSN, PHN, CCM

ctbeth replied to HealthAdvocate's response:
Dear David,

Thank you so much for presenting this useful information.

For those of us dealing with worker's comp, it can be confusing what is being done FOR our well being, and what is for the insurance company's benefit.

For me, this began within weeks of my initial injury. I did not yet realise that my adjuster was not my advocate. I do believe that the insurance companies encourage such ambiguities.

If someone wants an advocate, it is wonderful that you have given resources to be certain that one's advocate is, in reality, just that- someone hired to get the best care for the patient, not someone working for the insurance company whose job is to save the company as much money as possible.

This distinction can make an enormous difference in our care and financial support while we reach maximum medical improvement.

Featuring Experts

David N. Maine, MD is the director of the Center for Interventional Pain Medicine at Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore. Maine graduated with a degree ...More

Helpful Tips

Sleepy
I have been on the same pain medication with no change and all of the sudden I can't stay awake and am losing weight. Has anyone else had ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.