Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    left in pain in Oklahoma
    An_223033 posted:
    I have lived in Oklahoma for 9 years,and have bulging and thinning disks in my lower back.I mention the word pain and get the eyeroll and am dismissed as a drugseeker every time.I have changed doctors a half dozen times with the same results.As I was looking for a new primary care physician,I called a clinic to see if they accepted new medicaid patients,the receptionist asked if I had any chronic illnesses,I told her I was looking for a primary care DR. for all my health issues and what did she mean.She then said that the doctor did not treat pain.So I said"as long as It doesnt hurt the doc will treat me?"She was very rude and said he would not treat chronic pain patients.So here I am in tremendous pain and absolutly no where to turn.I am very depressed.
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 20 found this helpful
    _swank_ responded:
    Most primary care doctors will not treat you for chronic pain so that is not all that unusual. They just don't want to deal with the DEA headache. You still need to establish yourself with a new doctor. Then just ask for a referral to a pain management doctor. If you don't need a referral then just contact one on your own. My PCP does not treat chronic pain even though I've known him for years. I was referred to a pain management doctor years ago and have been with that doctor ever since.
    waynesbororn replied to _swank_'s response:
    A good place to go to for pain is a Pain Management Practice. It has helped me to get injections and other treatments. The physician I see has also treated fibromyalgia and that is a small part of my pain.
    annette030 responded:
    I just go ahead and make an appt. for something else, I don't discuss it with the person on the phone. They always say they don't manage chronic pain with opiates. I think that is mainly to discourage the drug abusers.

    When I am face to face with the new doctor, I discuss all my health care concerns including my chronic pain. I tell the new doctor that he does not have to treat my pain if he does not feel comfortable doing so, but that I need care for my other problems. By the third visit, all the doctors I have seen have offered to manage my pain also. I feel they have to get to know me and trust me as well as me getting to know and trust them.

    I do not guarantee this method, but it has worked for me. I have on occasion used pain management doctors to confirm my chronic pain and recommend a treatment plan, but I have never used them to actually manage my pain. My pcps have done so once we had a consultation with a specialist. For one year, ages ago, a rheumatologist managed my pain. Other than that, my pcp has always done so. Still does.

    Take care, Annette
    missycats35 responded:
    I live in Ct and it's sad to say I have not found one who take it.I have to pay 220 a month for insurance on top of medicare so I can have care I know it's ridiculous
    ctbeth replied to missycats35's response:
    Hi Missy,

    Please explain what you mean, "one who take it". One who takes what?

    I live in CT, too.
    ~ gratitude and good attitude~
    Trudy292 replied to ctbeth's response:
    I believe the above poster is referring to a Pain Management Specialist that will take the Medicaid card.

    ctbeth replied to Trudy292's response:
    is this the SSDI or the State programs?
    My PM has patients who are on SS medical, but I don't know about Medicaid.

    If the writer in CT would like me to ask the office manager, please let me know and if they take your ins, I can email you this fine MD's phone number and their website.

    ~ gratitude and good attitude~

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.