Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    want to know if anyone has gone threw the pain im having
    shaunamharris posted:
    got a bulgin disc between c5 c6 pain goes form my neck all down my
    spain threw my back... the lower part of my back is swollen.... have
    knots on my spin and neck...hard to sit for a long time) cant stand for a long time...have nerve damage in left leg turns purple if i stand to long.
    have nerve damage in left arm...had a car wreck last aug which was
    a year ago and keeps getting worse? i was hitt from behind cant
    work.. cant play with my kids which hurts..and the pain sometimes
    is over baren... if anyone has gone threw this please tell me
    Was this Helpful?
    3 of 14 found this helpful
    annette030 responded:
    I have had two herniated discs in this part of my spine.

    I am not sure that all your symptoms are from a bulging disc at C5-6. What kind of doctor did you see, and how long ago?

    Take care, Annette
    amy_helen responded:
    You sound so frustrated. I too am frustrated with trying to get proper health care. My first thought to you is YOU NEED TO Hire AN ATTORNEY!
    cweinbl responded:
    Yes, millions of people have pain like yours. And millions more have pain much worse. Life with chronic pain is an exercise in perspective. For example, I can tolerate no more than five minutes of standing or twenty minutes of sitting. The rest of my life is spent horizontal - and I still have pain then. But I consider myself very lucky, because there are millions of people with my pain and worse, who will never be able to sit, stand, walk, feed, toilet or bathe themselves. Would you not rather live with severe pain than also be a paraplegic, quadriplegic or have a terminal illness? Perspective...

    Some of your information cannot logically be related to a bulging disc in your cervical spine. Therefore, it may not be useful to discuss that part.

    Before considering surgery you should try a comprehensive pain management program. They offer treatments such as TENS, biofeedback, meditation, Yoga and acupuncture. They also offer injections, rhyzotomy, brace, traction and spinal decompression. If all of those fail, they also offer the spinal cord stimulator and the intrathecal infusion pump.

    Just please be careful to avoid a pain management group that primarily only offers injections. Research is clear that if injections do not help initially, then future iterations are also likely to fail - and injections are invasive with risks. Request a "comprehensive" pain clinic that offers the many varied treatment milieu mentioned above.

    If the pain management program fails, then I recommend that you request a referral to a spine surgeon. A spine surgeon is an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon who has completed a fellowship in spine surgery (that's 3-4 years of additional training beyond a residency). No one on the planet knows more about diagnosis, treatment and possesses the most advanced surgical techniques. Spine surgeons can often be found at or near teaching hospitals.

    Good luck.
    ctbeth replied to amy_helen's response:
    (Amy Helen,

    Why would you suggest that the originator of this discussion hire an attorney?)


    Have you has these things that you told your MD of the problems that you've posted here?

    Yes, unfortunately many, if not most, of us have, or are still experiencing the sort of pain that you describe.

    If your pain is causes by the bulging disc, this is a very treatable problem.

    If you're not currently under the care of an MD, being evaluated by one should be your next step.

    What sorts of diagnostic tests have you had?

    Did your accident require any surgical intervention?

    If you could tell us a bit more about this sort of thing, I think that we'd be more able to assist you.

    Featuring Experts

    Peter Abaci, MD , is certified in anesthesia and pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Dr. Abaci received his undergraduate educat...More

    Helpful Tips

    Judging people with or without chronic pain
    I try not to judge people by anything they do if they aren't hurting themselves or someone else. Unfortunately, I know that I've been judge ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 8 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.