Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Neuropsychiatrist Fights Back Against the "Opiate Epidemic" Hysteria
cweinbl posted:
Dr. Thomas Sachy practices child, adolescent, adult, and forensic neuropsychiatry. However, the majority of his clinical practice is in the field of pain management. He is a strong supporter of using opioids for the treatment of chronic non-cancer pain. Dr. Sachy reached this position after approximately 11 years of face-to-face patient interaction, along with ongoing intensive review of the medical and scientific literature dealing with opioids, and the other forms of analgesic medication, as well as the neuroscience behind chronic pain disorders. This is the first in a series of articles by Dr. Sachy that corroborates the efficacy of using opiates long-term to control and manage chronic pain.

There has been an ongoing barrage of news media attention focusing on overdose deaths due to prescription opioids, suggesting that the issue has reached "dangerous" or "alarming" levels of epidemic proportions. In response to these statistics we've seen an almost mob-like crusade to track down and punish incompetent, unethical, "pill mill" physicians and their practices. At the same time, there also seems to be a push to punish and/or eliminate the pain physician who by some mysterious standard is considered to be over-prescribing pain medications, and/or prescribing medications in "extraordinary" or inconceivable combinations.

These assertions fly in the face of science, and the experiences of the untold myriad of patients who literally have new, functional lives, less troubled by the specter of chronic debilitating pain. These patients still have pain and they always will suffer from it; however, with the right combination of medications — including and especially opioid medications — they once more can experience lives that contain a modicum of tranquility.

Great medical benefits are bestowed upon the vast majority of these patients with chronic pain who are prescribed opioid analgesics. They and their families attest that this is so, and with an objective eye, doctors see the benefits as well.
What will follow in this series are Dr. Sachy's personal experiences and opinions regarding the anti-opioid medication hysteria that is gripping this nation, and a rational defense of long-term opioids which, if not diverted or abused, are an absolute medical necessity, if not a medical miracle, in an inflexible world that predisposes humans to chronic pain disorders and other related neuropsychiatric diseases.
Read this article and future articles in Dr. Sachy's series here: http://updates.pain-topics.org/2011/12/tales-from-trenches-in-war-on-pain.html .

mind_situation responded:
Thank you very much for this link. I am one of those chronic pain persons that need opiate medicines. I will indeed follow the ongoing posts on the linked site. Opiate medication is a blessing when used correctly and in the proper hands. So our weapons against pain need to be understood. I have a feeling that the people that are against opiate medication or think there is some epidemic going on are people that do not need them. I do agree that the abuse of opiates has risen substantially. Unfortunately as in all wars such as the wars on drugs there is collateral damage. Let us hope that this does not happen in this war. If a person takes opiate medication and can return to a functionally normal lifestyle then where is damage? I believe sometimes we have people that make rules and do not quite understand the ramifications of what they are doing. Again thank you for the link.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Central canal stenosis, three massive disc herniations (two lumbar, one cervical, starting at age 17), four failed spine surgeries, including multilev...More

Helpful Tips

Tips/Resources/Discussions/What's Happening Now
I would like to point out AS A TIP that the new layout that WebMD has adopted can become confusing, but keep coming back and check ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.