Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chest pain when waking up
havoc1482 posted:
Hello, I am 18 years old. About 7 months ago I was in a traumatic car accident when I was diagnosed with musculo-skeletal trauma, concussion, ect. Ever since that accident I wake up every morning with pain in the left side of my chest. I feels like its just below the surface, but I know its not my heart, because its not a pulsating pain. Its an achy pain that is made worse by taking a deep breath. I have not seen a doctor about it yet and the pain has not gotten any worse or any better since then, its always the same.

bren_bren responded:
You may have costochondritus. It's inflammation of the cartilage (soft tissues) in the chest area. Do you sleep on your stomach? I have had it before & it's quite painful. That is what comes to my mind, anyways. You should see a physician because it is impossible to diagnose yourself, nor should you seek a diagnosis over the Internet. In the meantime, look it up & see if you think you have symptoms relative to costo. and maybe Advil (anti-inflammatories) will help. Of course a doctors opinion is what should bear the most weight. Feel better, B

Spotlight: Member Stories

Since my onset of chronic pain, just 4 years ago, I have experienced the selflessness of family, the kindness of many healthcare professionals, the tr...More

Helpful Tips

Study Shows Chronic Back Pain Erodes Concentration, Memory
Recent research observes that people living with persistent spinal pain experience difficulties with mental concentration and remembering ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.