Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Story :) Be Kind Rewind
Brandy1998 posted:
This is my first and only support group for Crps/RSD. I decided it was time, and decided to choose one, and webMD seemed like the place to go so here i am. Im Brandy, Im 31 years old from Texas. I was recently diagnosed with RSD. When i was younger, 12 or so, i had a tumor removed from my left ankle. All i really remember was that it was big, and there were alot of staples that came out of my foot lol. A few years later another tumor was removed from the same area. When removing this Tumor a nerve was completely severed. I had normal healing problems from these surgerys, intermittent pain, swelling at times. But after a few years it all went away and life finally returned to normal. The sentence, " I cant because my foot hurts" finally left my vocabulary. Now dont get me wrong life wasnt white picket fences from here one out, haha. I had my tonsils and adnoids removed, then a surgery to fix what had gone wrong there, ( get your pencils out, that makes four surgeries so far) Then later on my gall bladder removed. I had a DNC (sp?) after a Blighted Ovum pregnancy. I also had a cesarian for the birth of my son with a horrid epidural experience ( but when is there really a great epidural experience lol) After the horrible bedside manner of my gallbladder DR, who told me i was fat and thats why my gallbladder had diseased, i began my journey of weight loss. No surgery, No magic little pill, Hard work, lots of chicken, and pure agony.haha. i started out about 300 pounds and i sit in front of you today at 160. So before you think evil thoughts of podunk, mean DR from podunkville who told me i was fat, he changed my life. sometimes a little honestly from a perfect stranger with starched jeans a DR's coat and a knife works out for you. moving on....i noticed a lump on my extremly scarred left ankle.. i went to my PCP, with my history he says its probably another tumor..leave it be..if it hurts or grows we'll go on from there, so i do...and of course it grows...and hurts...so google here we come...my podiatrist is long since outta practice so google is my best shot. I find a wonderful DR who sees me promptly and we start the process of figuring out what this lump is in my troublesome left foot. MRI later, he tells me i have developed a neuroma from the severed nerve ALL these years later. he was pretty stumped because normally they form shortly after the nerve is severed not 15 years later, but this surprises me non, becuase well...see above...lol its my luck..he tries other methods to calm, shrink, whatever he can to make this little sucker happy and leave me alone and to no avail..we have to remove it. By this point i love this DR. I trust him, he tried non surgical procedures, and he listens to me make light of everything and laughs..hes a cool dude. So moving on...he removes the nueroma..surgery a success..he even shows it to me after surgery...says it was pretty darn big, he tucks my remaining nerve into my muscle ( which is what shouldve been done when the nerve was orignally severed in the first place) and life moves on. I am completed stubborn about the whole healing process, because after all this isnt my first rodeo, i got this..i know how to heal from foot surgery...boyyyy was i wrong. I know how to heal from foot surgery, i do not, however, know how to heal from NERVE surgery. so here come the excuses...well i just had surgery...thats why it hurts so bad...then the nerve begins to fire constantly, causing no sleep whatsoever...another excuse, i cant tolerate the pain..becuase im not sleeping...finally the pain becomes to much...im not sleeping..im forgetting things..leaving car doors open...making a sandwhich with no meat...slurring my words..im a mess..no sleep is serious business i guess..so i make an appointment with my foot dr. he gives me an early DX of crps/rsd. im upset..but hold onto hope that he jumped the gun...i get referred to a pain managment dr and within five minutes he confirms the DX. to be cont...

bren_bren responded:
Hi Brandy, welcome to this support group. I wish there was more activity here on this board but unfortunately there hasn't been lately. I have seen some RSD sufferers post here but it has been a while and I didn't want your post to go unnoticed. In the meantime, have you checked the other pain management community out yet?

http://exchanges.webmd.com/pain-management-exchange

It is a moderated forum w/ experts and seems to get more traffic. If you post there, be sure to include that you are an RSD sufferer in the title to gain attention to those who can identify with you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to talk, I have a friend w/ RSD, but I just would wish a faster response for someone like you.

I hope you can find the support you seek. I know it's difficult to carry on w/ such a complex syndrome. Have you had success finding any support groups in the area in which you live?

Take care, and feel free to continue posting here.

Take care, B

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a married 43yr. old mother of 4, gramma of 5, living in Wash. state. I am pretty tired of the pain management game, and each new doctor tends to ...More

Helpful Tips

Smoking Pot Decreases Neuropathic Pain
A new Canadian research study reports that smoking high-THC cannabis reduces neuropathic pain. This recently-published report in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.