Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic pain
An_248518 posted:
I have been taking hydrocodone and clonazepam for over 2yrs and
other sample medication my doctor gives me to try but pain never seems to go away it all got worse after I had surgery by them trying to fix one problem lead to more problems I'm just turned 42 and feel so depressed I lost my job can't motivate sometimes wish I don't wake up.
Does other ever feel this way.

cweinbl responded:

1. What happened? Why do you have chronic pain? Where is the pain? What other pain management treatments have you tried? What is your dosage for Vicoden (Hydrocodone)? Why are you using the anti-convulsant Klonopin? Do you have neuropathic pain? If so, why? We can't help unless you describe why you have chronic pain and how it has been treated so far.

2. Virtually none of us with chronic pain will have it "go away." That will never occur. What we desire is to MANAGE our pain. We want our pain to be reduced just barely enough to function as an employee and as a family member. That's it, my friend. Chronic pain almost never will "go away." That is an unrealistic expectation.

3. You said that you, "had surgery." What kind? Where? By whom? When? With what specific results? What prompted you to have surgery? Was it congenital? Or, were you injured? If you can't provide more detail, you leave us with insufficient data to respond. Sorry, but you need to be much more informative.

smann68 responded:
I can certainly empathize with you. I also take a lot of pain meds and yes, I have had chronic anxiety and depression for a long time. I cannot work either. Do you have a psychiatrist? I am now on meds for my anxiety and depression. It does help. Just know that you are not by yourself. There are a lot of us who feel your pain. I hope your mood changes soon.

screwedup replied to cweinbl's response:
I had a kink in my celiac artery they tried to stent did'nt work ended up with blood clot in left arm they did surgery to repair had laproscopic surgery a week later they cut my diaphram band and what else to free the kink I ended up with multiple clots in right leg they called it DVT I was on blood thinners 9mos they did ultrasounds every 2months 6 mos after I had 2nd surgery I end up with umbellical hernia they repaired it with mesh I have total 18 small scars in stomach they said I would heal in a few years.I have constant pain in my right leg except when I have headaches my leg pain goes away my stomach is back to hurting after I eat.They said I have Post thromblic syndrome I don't see Vascular doctor anymore since I lost insurance My primary doctor she is the one who give me Vicodin 10/660 x120 30days Klonopin 5mg,I tried gabapetin 60mg doesn't help

cweinbl replied to screwedup's response:
I don't know much about vascular issues. My condition is much different. One recommendation that I can offer is to work with your family doctor or a pain management physician to discover which combinations of medications produce the best pain control for your unique pain and body chemistry. What works well for one person may do nothing at all for someone else. It took literally years for my physician and I to try various combinations. And I stress the word "combination." For moderate to severe chronic pain, this is typically one long-acting medication (Kadian, Oxycontin, Fentanyl Transdermal, etc.) and one short-acting medication (Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, etc.) for breakthrough pain. Then there are many off-label drugs to try, including anti-depressants (to inhibit the reuptake of Serotonin), anti-convulsants (for neuropathic pain, etc. I mention using your family doctor because that person might know you well and trust you enough to prescribe a wide variety of opioids. Otherwise, pain management physicians are there for this condition, although they often make patients fly though many time-wasting hoops. Best of luck.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Multi-level lumbar and cervical spine fusions secondary to MVI trauma. Spinal cord injury with alteration in sensation and mobility. Intermedull...More

Helpful Tips

Tips/Resources/Discussions/What's Happening Now
I would like to point out AS A TIP that the new layout that WebMD has adopted can become confusing, but keep coming back and check ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.