Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Overall-Pain
OUCloud2 posted:
I have arthritis of the Neck-Spine, Birthdefect of the lower spine-something do do with lumbar-nerve sac region, A severe ruptured of L5-S1 (non-candidate for surgery) Ruptured L1 or the last Thoriac (nonconfirmed) -just feels like when L5-S1 blew; Arthritis of joints - esp knees /feet. Neuropathy -upgraded to severe 2 years ago.

I take Tramadol for days that otc work, Percocet when pain is severe (like tonight). I also take soma , neurontin .

But I try other options before I do the prescripts , like heat, laying down, epsom salt baths ect..

Sometimes its just damn frustrating.

Cloud

cweinbl responded:

If you have constant moderate to severe pain, you'll do better with a long-acting opioid (Kadian, Oxycontin, Fentanyl Transdermal, etc.). You could then keep the Oxycodone (Percocet) or Hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. That way, you'll eliminate the ups and downs associated with short-acting meds. Of course, if your pain is more of an inconvenience than a disruption in your life, then OTC should work.

You can enroll in a comprehensive pain management program and try the dozens of non-invasive and minimally-invasive options. I can reduce my pain substantially with biofeedback alone. Some people rave about acupuncture, kinesiotherapy, meditation or even hypnosis. It doesn't hurt to try. When you ask for a referral, just make sure it's a comprehensive pain management program, not just an injection mill. Research on injection shows that if they don't work initially, future iterations are unlikely to help. It's a huge money-maker for physicians, but can be a time-waster for pain patients.

Here is a link to recent major research on all forms of spinal interventions, including short and long-term success rates: http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/2009/july/2009;12;699-802.pdf .

Finally, how do you know that you are not a candidate for spine surgery for your herniated disc? How many spine surgeons have you consulted? When I say spine surgeon, I do not mean an orthopedic or neurosurgeon. I mean one with a fellowship in spine surgery. That's 3-4 years of highly specialized training at key facilities and universities AFTER a residency. Just ask if the doctor has completed a fellowship in spine surgery. These highly specialized surgeons are light years beyond any orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon in experience, training and technique. I would not (and did not) make any treatment decision until after consulting with at least TWO spine surgeons. They can be found typically at or near teaching hospitals and in urban areas. Take your latest MRI or have it done there. It's definitely worth traveling to consult with a fellowship-trained spine surgeon. Don't learn this the hard way, as so many spine patients learn. Nothing is more important than your health. Why trust it to anyone less than the very best-educated and most talented surgeon? Maybe you'll be told that you're not a surgery candidate. But at least you'll have heard it from two of the best trained spine surgeons in the world. You deserve it.

Good luck!

OUCloud2 replied to cweinbl's response:
OTC don't work at all i should've proofed read ..
As for how do I know? I have been to several neuro-surgeons and back surgeons. I have a birth defect in the lower spinal cord/nerve related. But that's okay from what I have heard of many others that have had the surgery, I'd rather just deal with what i have.I've known about the birth defect since I was old enough to understand. It has limited my life alot but I adapted as I grew older.

I take Tramadol on mild to severe, and Percocet on the Severe & Plus days. I take advil for headaches but it doesn't do anything for the general pain i deal with . I use heat, epsom salt soaks for milld pains (providing i can get into the tub)

My latest MRI was 2012 and I had 3 surgeons check my MRIs and in 2003 , 2 Surgeons told me a no go then as well.

Weather bothers me immensely - last night my neck /upper back/shoulders throbbed - one those i wish i could rip my spine out times. nothing phased it. - cold wet front came thru and another one due thru tuesday.

But thank you, i'll look into that list of pain killers.

Spotlight: Member Stories

HI I'm Catherine and been living with RSD?CRPS for twenty -five years nowi joined to share my story, I have written a book, my own personal story ...More

Helpful Tips

Study Shows Chronic Back Pain Erodes Concentration, Memory
Recent research observes that people living with persistent spinal pain experience difficulties with mental concentration and remembering ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.