Skip to content
Norco urine test showing false negative
debbilee posted:
Hi, everyone. New to this community - hope to learn and offer support.

Like most chronic patients I've been taking multiple meds for many years. My Dr. has startef requiring a urine and/or blood test to make sure I'm taking my meds. I have been taking 3-5 Norco each day for breaktrhough pain for years. Today, my Dr. said my urine tests have shown Negative for Norco so he will not renew my meds!?! How can this be? A blood test several months ago showed positive, and I've been taking my meds every day, but somehow it's not showing up in the uriine test. So not only does mh Dr. question whether I'm taking mmy meds, his attitude today made me feel like he thinks I'm selling them! This is not true, and I am beside myself wondering what I am going to do.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions?

smann68 responded:
Hi debbilee,

I've heard of this happening before. I would ask the dr. to retake the test and "remind" him/her of the positive results on the blood test.

How long have you been going to this dr.? Surely your past record with this dr. should count for something.

debbilee replied to smann68's response:
Thanks, smann68. I've been seing this dr. for 17 years, and to hhave him believe I was not taking my rx felt like a betrayal. He was very adamant that the "tests are accurate" and there was no mistake. I mentioned the earlier blood test and asked if he would take another blood test, response was "no". I did break down crying and asked "How can this br? I'm taking my meds every day, hiw can they not show up??\" I said "I just turned 60, my Mom passed away at 62 and my Dad at 75...I figure I've ggot 10-15 good years left, how will I manage to have any quality oif life without this Rx" and started almost chanting"what am I going to do? What am I going to do?"

All of a sudden a "light bulb" went off in the drs. eyes, and he said "I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt - I'm not going to renew your Rx, but I am going to call the toxicologist at the lab"and I'll let you know if something changes."
I left in tears - not only was I denied my meds, but noe my dr. thinks I'm a criminal/"

The next morning I got a call from the clinic office -- turns out Dr. was told by the testibg service that the urine tests were flawed and results not proper, so now your pills will be renewed."

So my dr. came through for me, after all. Something I said, together with our passt history, caused the dr. to stop and think, and now the many folks in our little town whi have been denied all of a sudden getting their meds.

Anyone out there with this problem should try to see if their drs. would check with the labs. - there are too many stories like mine on the internet. Someone suggested buying a home drug test kit and it shows your meds, take it and a new, unopened kit with you and ask if you can do the test there along with the urine test they give to show the meds in your system whether the official test does or not. Fortunately, we didn't have to go that far.

My dr. came through for me, but it wasn't easy. Hopefully, this info will help others.

smann68 replied to debbilee's response:
debbilee,

I'm glad everything has worked out for you! It's such a shame that your dr. of 17 yrs. would automatically defend the test first and not you. Wouldn't it have been nice if he had said, "I know this test must be wrong b/c she has been my patient long enough that I know better"?

Oh well.....best of luck to you!

treble3 responded:
The very same thing happened to me just this afternoon. I don't like to take this medication. Yet when I don't the pain causes me to become very depressed. I haven't been taking as many norco since I have recently been put on anti-depressants. Today's urine test came up negative. I was given a new Rx and will dutifully take more over the next few weeks. I feel like I am being forced to become some sort of Junkie.

debbilee replied to treble3's response:
treble3:

I agree with you -- it seems like we're stuck in a Catch-22, and either we're forced to sometimes take more meds than we need (for times when we're having "good days" or managing our pain well) to meet the "piss test" or risk being denied the meds we need when we're in full flare-up. I try to use the least amount of meds for daily pain, but have to make sure I use the full amount for the week running up to my monthly dr. appt. so they show up in the urine sample, making me feel like you do--like I'm forced to over-medicate sometimes just to be able to get the meds I know I'm going to need when the inevitable "flare" comes up or , God forbid, I try to have a normal life and go do something physical - like going to the store or taking a short walk with my husband.

Most importantly, it's very important to keep a handle on your pain level--once it gets away from you, it's very difficult to get it back under control! I also take a low dose, time-released morphine (talk about feeling like a Junkie!) which has "leveled out" the pain peaks and valleys as the Norco enters and leaves my system. It has given me a more level daily pain management. I have found that the deep depression I fought for many years because of my fluctuating pain has mostly been alleviated because I have learned to accept that this is my life now(a long, hard fight, to be sure), and I anticipate and plan for every activity that will cause a flare, including a "recuperation" plan for the day(s) following.

I hope this helps--- you are not alone in this, and it's not "all in your head". But it's not easy, either, and we just have to "play the game" forced on us to keep proving that the pain is real and we need to know that our meds will be there when we need them.

treble3 replied to debbilee's response:
Thank you for your support.

I recently had to leave my original pain management Dr. as the group he is managed by, Pinnicle Pain Management, no longer is agreeing to use Aetna insurance. When I was going to him they used a very expensive lab that did such an extensive testing that it was over $3,000 just for the drug testing. Aenta would not pay for this lab but the lab agreed to allow the testing to be billed as though it was an in network lab with Aetna, so no fee for us.
It's not that I don't like my new doctor but we don't have that same bond of trust. They use the lab that our insurance insists we use.... LabQuest (which i have heard is similar to LabCorp???) I don't think their testing is quite as intense nor as accurate and that is probably why my old doctor's office uses their own lab.
I feel so betrayed... not so much by the new doctor as it is not really his fault if the lab work is not accurate. I am calling my old doctor today to ask him what I should do. His office is right across the hall from my new doctor and when I had to move to the new doctor, my old Dr. had me come in one last time to make sure I was doing okay. (I can't say enough good things about him. I actually cried when I heard I couldn't go to his office anymore.)
It will be interesting to see how this month's testing comes out. I will keep you posted.
~T~

finn2 replied to debbilee's response:
Debbilee, I was taking a generic for MS Contin which is long acting morphine for over a year and I never felt it helped the pain that much and it also caused constipation and worst of all, made me feel very sleepy. I was ok as long as I up and doing things but as soon as I sat down, even on the toilet, I could go right to sleep. Driving was difficult and my husband took me everywhere. I finally saw another doc in the pain management practice i go to and he let me try a long acting Oxycontin, 20 mg., I take one twice a day and it works so well! I was able to reduce the short acting oxycodone from 5 to 3 a day and sometimes less. It's very expensive though and after a few months my insurance didn't want to cover it and suggested i try a particular brand name drug that also contains morphine, I can't remember the brand right now and it was one my doc had me try before the oxycontin, it gave me hives and itching. So he contacted my insurance company and convinced them to cover the oxycontin long acting. You may want to ask about that, it really works very well to reduce pain all day, without the sleepiness that morphine causes.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Multi-level lumbar and cervical spine fusions secondary to MVI trauma. Spinal cord injury with alteration in sensation and mobility. Intermedull...More

Helpful Tips

Tips/Resources/Discussions/What's Happening Now
I would like to point out AS A TIP that the new layout that WebMD has adopted can become confusing, but keep coming back and check ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.