Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
i have Uterine Fibroids and am pregnant
k_ball posted:
have Uterine Fibroids and was wondering if any one has anyways to manage the pain

helenbourne3 responded:
If you are experiencing fibroid pain and are NOT PREGNANT the best treatment in the short term is painkillers (analgesics) such as acetaminophen (paracetamol, Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Nurofen). These work well for mild to moderate pain. For more severe pain stronger analgesics requiring a doctor's prescription are needed. Examples include stronger NSAIDS like diclofenac, mefenamic acid and naproxen or opiates such as codeine, dihydrocodeine, pethidine or morphine.

BUT if you are pregnant then you have to be VERY Careful with medication.

Consult your doctor or obstetrician before taking any medication when pregnant.

There are other ways of relieving pain from fibroids which do not involve medication:

These include: Gentle therapeutic massage, the careful use of thermal heat pads, or ice-packs to the site of the pain, poultices, TENS machines, acupuncture, and hypnosis. Caution: there is a risk of burns when using heat pads or ice-packs (ice-burns). Prolonged or incautious use may result in skin burns, permanent colour changes to the skin (erythema ab igne) and skin damage. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Reference:
http://www.enetmd.com/content/fibroid-pain
Read about fibroids in pregnancy here:
http://www.enetmd.com/content/fibroids-pregnancy
These are both long and detailed articles. Good luck Helen

Spotlight: Member Stories

Central canal stenosis, three massive disc herniations (two lumbar, one cervical, starting at age 17), four failed spine surgeries, including multilev...More

Helpful Tips

Tips/Resources/Discussions/What's Happening Now
I would like to point out AS A TIP that the new layout that WebMD has adopted can become confusing, but keep coming back and check ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.