Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post-stroke Burning Sensation
MikeAls posted:
My aunt, who is in her 80s, had a stroke a number of years ago and has continued to have TIAs. She's actually in pretty good shape, lives alone and generally manages well. However, about 6 months ago she started experiencing a burning in her throat. Her doctor thought it was GERD and prescribed Nexium with no effect. Endoscopy showed no damage to mucus membranes
Another family member suggested that it was anxiety and the doctor gave her Xanax which does not affect the burning but which at least allows her to sleep better when the burning is more severe.

The burning never completely goes away, just fades and then gets worse. She does find that eating popsicles provides some relief as do throat-numbing lozenges. To me this would seem to indicate that the problem really is physical and not due to anxiety which she really hasn't had any symptoms of.

I'm wondering if this could be due to Central Pain Syndrome resulting from the stroke or if that's reaching.

I don't live near her but I talk to her several times a week and she always asks if I know of anything else she can try. It's a shame that with as well as she's coped with the assorted problems all of us have as we age that this one issue is causing her so much distress.

Spotlight: Member Stories

HI I'm Catherine and been living with RSD?CRPS for twenty -five years nowi joined to share my story, I have written a book, my own personal story ...More

Helpful Tips

Smoking Pot Decreases Neuropathic Pain
A new Canadian research study reports that smoking high-THC cannabis reduces neuropathic pain. This recently-published report in the ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.