Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Recurring boils: 30 boils in 5 months, and counting..
robertthomas89 posted:
To whoever can help,

In the last 5 months I have suffered from a chronic Staph Infection (confirmed Staph, NOT MRSA), which causes painful boils to appear on the skin. I am looking for a cure and for to stop the boils appearing, I've tried everything and each doctor I see can't help me.

In August 2013 it started with 3 painful boils, I went to see a doctor and he gave me a prescription for some strong antibiotics. The antibiotics worked and once the boils drained I thought it was over, simple.

However 2 weeks later more boils appeared, these being equally as painful. I visited a different doctor a second time and he confirmed I had a staph infection, he also gave me a 2nd prescription for, different, antibiotics. Once again I had a good couple of weeks but more boils appeared, so I visited a doctor again.

This time I was given a prescription for Hibiscrub, with the hope to clean my skin and eliminate the infection. I was also sent to a local hospital to have some blood tests. The results of the tests showed that I had an iron deficiency, so I was given a 3 months course of iron tablets, I hoped this would improve my immune system and end the boils.

It is now January 2014 (5 months after the first boil). I have had countless blood tests and my iron levels are now fine. The results of all blood tests show I am fine and normal. I am a 24 year old man, 6'0 and 160lbs, I have an excellent diet, I walk approx 10km each day, and I excessive regularly between boils. I eat my 5 fruit and veg, I take daily supplements of Vit C & Zinc, Multi Vits, Garlic, and Natural Yogurt, and I lead a healthy, stress-free, life (apart from when I'm dealing with the boil pain). My hygiene is also impeccable and I shower daily, I also wash all my clothes, towels and bedding on a hot wash.

As my title reads I've had about 30 boils over the last 5 months. These range from pea to golf ball sized. They also range in pain from a mild irritation to complete agony. I've had about 5 which have stopped me from sleeping and have forced me to take time off work. I've tried taking different types of pain killers including Ibuprofen, Codine, paracetamol and anti-inflammatory but none help me with the pain. The boils have appeared all over my body, but only where I have hair growing. I also have eczema which can cause me to scratch my skin from time to time. I originally though this was the cause of my problem, but I've had boils appear on my arm pits and in my head hair but i NEVER scratch these areas.

I'm desperate for help with my problem. The pain is difficult to bare and the problem has really done a lot of damage to my confidence - I don't know when this is going to end. I work full-time in a secondary school and this problem is also affecting my work. The pain can be a big distraction and when I am losing sleep I turn up to work very tired, which limits my productivity.

Anyone who can help me with the pain management caused by the boils, or has any ideas regarding a possible cure, please reply to my post or email me at robert.thomas100@hotmail.com

Thank you in advance

x

Spotlight: Member Stories

Since my onset of chronic pain, just 4 years ago, I have experienced the selflessness of family, the kindness of many healthcare professionals, the tr...More

Helpful Tips

Study Shows Chronic Back Pain Erodes Concentration, Memory
Recent research observes that people living with persistent spinal pain experience difficulties with mental concentration and remembering ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.