Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Pain managment regulations accross state lines
    An_223006 posted:
    My wife had an outpatient procedure a couple of weeks ago. Her pain doctor referred her to this anesthesiologist who specializes in nerve blocks, but he is out of state. After the first treatment the doctor said she would have discomfort so he sent her home with 2 days worth of pain medications. The next time she went for the 2nd procedure, the doctor said that the government is cracking down on physicians and if he gives her pain medications while she is being treated in her home state (with similar drugs) he could go to jail. He said that it usually takes 1-2 months before these records are entered into a national database.
    I don't understand how she should handle the situation because the contract she signed with her regular physician stated that "he should be contacted in the event of an emergency which required additional pain medication for HER CONDITION". Now if she is prescribed something just for the procedure by the treating doctor, is she obligated to tell the referring physician (again) even if he is already aware of what the nerve block treatment entails? How can the referring physician justify prescribing "extra" medication (in the eyes of the law) to get her through the procedure that another doctor out of state is performing? We are confused and want to do things the right way without getting either physician into trouble, but I can tell that she does require the extra medication while she is "on the tale" and up to 3 days afterwards. Any input is welcome because we are new to these supposed "Regulations". Thanks for your help.
    annette030 responded:
    I think you might have posted this on another pain board and I may have answered it already. It sounds familiar.

    My husband signed such a contract, they are pretty common. He has since had a couple of surgeries and had dental surgery also, and was offered pain med RXs by all the surgeons involved. Each time we refused to even accept the RXs, and contacted his prescribing doctor with whom he had the contract as needed. We had spoken to him prior to each procedure and had a plan in place for taking extra BT meds as necessary.

    His contract does not include meds given by the other doctor during a procedure, just RXs for meds that he was given afterwards for use at home.

    It is no big deal. Just talk to her doctor before the procedure is done.

    Take care, Annette

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Hi! I'm Lillybit from So Cal and I'm the one your mother warned you about (jk) I'm a mom of 4 little (some not so little) beauties...1grow...More

    Helpful Tips

    Smoking Pot Decreases Neuropathic Pain
    A new Canadian research study reports that smoking high-THC cannabis reduces neuropathic pain. This recently-published report in the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    21 of 31 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.