Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Urgent Benadryl Question Help!
unknown posted:
Hi Ladies,

DD has a cold and fever. I gave her tylenol for the fever and the pedi said to give her benadryl for the cough. The dosage she told me is 1 tsp. Does that seem right? I'm just wondering because I was reading the bottle for children's benadryl and it says to give older children 1-2 tsps as well. I just wanted to double check...there's no infants benadryl right??? TIA!

jlg08 responded:
I give DD 1/2tsp. And youre right there is no infant benadryl. Since you havent given it to her before I'd start her off at just 1/2tsp to see how she reacts, if it doesnt seem to be working then give her another 1/2.

JoeBabes responded:
Nope there is no infants benadryl. Here is a dosing chart that might help. It goes by weight.

www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088800.asp

roni090909 responded:
I give 1/2 also. Here is a dosing chart, www.babyzone.com/baby_toddler_preschooler_health/allergies/article/benadryl-dosage-chart.

molly88888 responded:
Call your local pharmacist.

tlrlovesdlr responded:
I hope it works....I would give her 1/2 tsp. dose first...to see how she reacts to it. If it doesn't help clear her nose up, then I would give another 1/2 about an hour after. How much does she weigh? Is your pedi going by her weight? DP weighs about 24-25 lbs and I give him a little more than 1/2 tsp.

The dosing chart will def help.

Sometimes, depending on the cold, Benedryl doesn't work at all and I skip it all together.

Landon08 responded:
I give my LO a little under 3/4 teaspoon..He weighs 25 lbs. You can give them 1 tea over 25 lbs, but I don't.

KityKatK8 responded:
Yeah, check the dosing chart. My ped told me to use benadryl for a rash but he said a 1/4 of a teaspoon. My LO is 19 lbs. Definately no more than 1/2 teaspoon.

GL and hope your DD feels better soon. Don't forget the humidifier!

linzuh04 responded:
I take 2 tsps. I wouldnt give a 1 yr old half of a dose I take...lol. I give DD 3/4 tsp and DS between 1/4 and 1/2.

robertirwing responded:
Hope this Benadryl dosage Chart will help you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (31) and DH (29) have been happily married for 5 years. I work out of the home part time. We have a beautiful baby girl who was born on 9/23/09.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.