Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Skeeter Syndrome...!
LynneAshley posted:
My 16 month old daughter got a mosquito bite on her eye brow, the next day her whole eye was swollen shut! I took her to 3 different docs and they put me into a severe panic attack telling me (frantically) to take her to the ER.. So 2 hours later in the ER she is playing around, not bothered a bit by what's going on, ( or me hyperventilating). They tell me to take her swimming! Like I want to take her near water! I looked online and found out she has 'skeeter syndrome'. She get huge whelps from being bit by mosquitoes. All that wait, and WORRYING over 'I guess' nothing...UGH!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cary1974 responded:
If you notice that she got bit, put a small dab of toothpaste on it, not sure why it works, but it does. DS1 has the same thing, he swells horribly from them!

t_collins responded:
I am so glad to find your post. My 2 year sun got bit under eye and now looks like he lost a fight. Is there anything to for the symptoms. Do you think they will grow out of it. I feel so bad for him to think that every time he goes out to play he is going to come back looking like a loser in a brawl. LOL

virlomi responded:
sounds terrifying! Glad its not a huge health risk though.

LexyRose1966 responded:
A little Benadryl should help bring the swelling down and generally helps with allergic reactions to insect bites. Of course, check with your pedi before giving your LO any meds. I take it when I get bit as I tend to get reactions to bug bites.

HTH,

Lexy Rose

luvmy2babiesmuch responded:
the best thing for bites, including wasp stings is Amonia.. i keep it in a small , old shampoo squirt bottle, outside for that very reason. it instantly takes the sting out.. and Skin so Soft by Avon keeps the pecky mosq, off of you.. and is good for skin.. i order a huge bottle every summer, me and mom split it, and it lasts a long time,,, also Listerine, mosquitoes HATE listerine, i put some in a spay bottle for outside as well... both my kids are never bitten, except when in DH care, and i'm not around.. i live in South Arkansas, and our mosq are small birds... huge, vicious!!!

tkgriffin72 responded:
I was like that when I was little too. It looked so awful! But, I grew out of it. When I get bit now it is just like anyone else getting bit by one. However, one of my kids has it too. We'll go camping and no one else will get bit and they just swarm around him and eat him alive. We go home and it looks like we beat him up; it's sad. So, the last few years when we go camping, he prefers to stay with grandma...indoors. Can't say that I blame him.

mrsdean862000 responded:
I have a tried and true method of keeping "skeeters" from biting your child. Before the child wants to go outside, take an ordinary dryer sheet and rub it on all the exposed ares of the skin, and then place a corner of it in one of the childs pockets, leaving it exposed. The "skeeters will NOT bite. We do this all the time and it works!! Mrs. S Whitt

lawhitaker responded:
My kids get that--my ds and oldest dd get it. This past summer, dd got bit on her eyebrow and her eye also swelled up. It was bad! LOL

But mostly, she gets bites on her legs and arms that look like HUGE whelts and itch like crazy.

rachbug8 responded:
Yikes! Sounds scary. Older DS gets those welts, too.

Benedryl makes an "itch stick". If your pedi oks it, I highly recommend keeping one in the diaper bag and in the medicine cabinet. Then put it on as soon as you notice the bite (not hard to do within a couple of minutes, if she's like DS - they'll be golf balls by that time.)

linzuh04 responded:
DS is the same way. I asked the Pedi about it and he told me it's not skeeter syndrome, but a different breed of mosquito. The more they get bitten, the more tolerant their skin becomes. That's why most adults dont have reactions like that

tlrlovesdlr responded:
Hey, I thought DP was the only one. When he gets bit by a bug (never been able to tell what from) he gets a whelt that is very hard under the skin. At one time, he had quite a few on his legs and thigh area. We took him to pedi and they said it was bug bits - ants or mosq. ??? He doesn't get them at home and he only gets them once in a while ...while at school. No other children in his room gets them. I keep hydrocortisone with me and when I find one, I apply once and they go away within a day.

I've talked to his teachers and director and his room is very clean. I think he gets them from when they go outside and play in the sand area, etc. Doesn't happen a lot though...just once in a while. He just had once again last week but it's been a couple months in between.

jazzzyew responded:
I had a very similar experience with my daughter. Her eye swelled shut but at that time I was not sure what had bitten her -- I suspected it was a spider. The crowded ER I visited on a Sunday afternoon was not much more helpful than the one you visited. Recently while at a cookout, I saw a mosquito land just above her eyebrow, but didn't get to her quickly enough to swat it away before it bit her. The same reaction occurred, but fortunately the placement of the bite was a little higher up above the eyebrow so it didn't result in her eye being swelled shut. I have found that a little Benedryl (oral) given as soon as I notice a bite has helped reduce the reaction. She still gets swelling and the area is warm to the touch, but much less severe. Good luck -- we are finding it pretty frustrating not being able to enjoy the great outdoors with her as much as we would like.

ChrisKrunch responded:
Try witch hazel. It works great on bug bites it takes the swelling and the sting out. You can get it at Walgreen's. Great for diaper rash and even reduces and clears up acne. Fun for the whole family and made from plant extract so not as harsh as benedryl. This stuff is great.

sjhill1979 responded:
My 4 year old has always gotten blisters swelling and everytime I take him to the er they always ask me if I had burned him and they take his clothes off and check to see if I had been abusing him and they always tell me that there is no way the blisters are from mosquito bites so they do blood tests on him checked him for arthritis I dont know what else to do his family doctor wont look skeeter syndrome up his dermatolgist said the blisters was not from the bites....I just dont know what to do no one will listen to me or do anything about it I dont know how to treat the bites they always put him on antibioctics...I was just hopeing that someone could give me some advice on what to do now this has been going on for 3 years now and I just feel lost because I dont know what to do for him and it is ashame that someone has to be scared to take their baby to the hospital because they treat you like you have been abusing your child the er doctors has put us in a room with a camara in it any advice would be great thanks so much

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was a very active member on the pregnancy boards when I was pregnant with my daughter and loved the support and cometary I got. I'm currently a ...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 50 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.