Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

OT - Frustrated
kristinrayerootes posted:
I probably sound like a broken record here. Anyway, as I have posted before, I was offered a new job about a month ago which I rejected. The company approached me again, offered more money, and wanted me to have lunch with a "higher up" to alleviate any concerns I had. So last Thursday we had lunch and I felt good about it. I e-mailed my would be boss on Friday and asked some questions, one of them being whether or not I could work from home one day a week - something two of his superiors had already okayed. He said no, so I said I needed the weekend to think about it. I was ready to take the position today, but e-mailed the HR guy about the inconsistent answers on working from home. He called back to say they were withdrawing the offer because they no longer felt it was a "good fit" and he couldn't tell me any more because he needed to protect the bank. In other words, he couldn't tell me it was because I wanted flexibility to be a parent which would totally be illegal. I am just frustrated with the back and forth and that now I am "stuck" with my current job which I have concerns about. Oh well, at least I am employed and they are flexible with me. I think I just don't want to work!! Okay, thanks for listening.

palvarad responded:
I find it amazing how certain jobs penalize parents for, well, being parents! Like, we had the audacity to have children, and not to expect any favors. I understand that companies have to run their business the same for everyone, but sometimes it feels like there's no give ANYWHERE. I had to take a personal day and my boss and I were talking about my work performance and she kept saying "I respect that you're a mother, but...." but what??? If my performance is lacking, then tell me straight, don't bring this I know you're a mother crap into it. I was so heated, but what can I say? I don't expect to get special license because I have a child, but hell, don't use it against me either! Like in your case! That's BS, I'm sorry they did that to you, I think it's wrong honestly because you got prejudged on the basis of being a mother. They suddenly saw you as a liability no matter how good your work is. It sucks that this is our society. Those, especially mothers, have to deal with b.s. like this on a daily basis.

How dare we have children! We oughta know working is MORE important (heavy on the sarcasm)

Sorry Kristina :( I wish it had turned out better for you. In the meantime rant away! I bet there's a ton of moms who understand your situation.

cduffy responded:
That is total BS! Especially that they gave you the offer and you told them you'd think about it, even without the option to work from home. They sound like sleeze balls to me. They were probably saying to themselves that if you were questioning this about the ability to work from home for a day, if they gave you the job you would be a pain in the parts about other things you needed time off for (i.e. well baby visits, sick kid time, and all the other oh so ridiculous things that mothers need time off for).

You are better off without that job IMO. And, yes, at least you have a job right now when so many others don't, so that's a good way to look at it.

kristinrayerootes replied to cduffy's response:
Thanks for making me feel better ladies! Courtney - I think that is exactly what they were thinking! At least my current job is totally cool on issues like that. As long as I get my work done, they don't care if I have to take a sick day or duck out early for an appointment. Maybe I should consider myself lucky!

leftcoastgirl responded:
This may not be the first thing on your mind, but you might want to consider sending a written note or e-mail to the would-be boss. If it were me, I wouldn't even mention the work-from-home thing. Just say you were sorry to hear they decided to go in another direction but liked the company and would love to continue to stay in touch. You never know what opportunities they may have down the road, and it's always good to make yourself look like a potential asset to the company.

kristinrayerootes replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
I thought about doing that. Saying something to the effect that I agree it wasn't the best fit right now, but maybe a few years from now, it would be. Maybe I will do that now that you recommended it also. Thanks!

roni090909 responded:
I have to agree with cduffy. I am sorry to hear though. Even though it might not be the right thing right now, its still a pain in the butt to get your hopes up and then have them taken away.

Hopefully something better will come along. God works in mysterious ways

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Hannah I am almost 19. I found out I was pregnant when I was 16 years old. The well we call him the "DONOR" was my bf for 3 years...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.