Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

2nd Time C-Section - scheduled or unscheduled?
leftcoastgirl posted:
Hi, ladies!

The VBAC discussion below got me wondering something. I had an unplanned c-section with DD after about 8 hours of labor.

If/when we have a second LO, I'd like to explore the VBAC option. BUT - if I do end up having to have a second c-section, would it have to be a scheduled c-section? Would any doctor just allow you to go into labor and perform the c-section then? My biggest concern with a repeat c-section would be allowing the LO to come out when he/she is good and ready. Even though DD was a c-section baby, she got the chance to come when she was ready.

Anyone have any experience with this?
KityKatK8 responded:
Ohhh definately schedule a c/s. If you really know you want a c/s, schedule it. DD was breech, so we scheduled her c/s and it was so easy. The recovery is supposed to be much easier after a scheduled c/s, too. We went in, all nice and calm, got the IV started, got prepped, nice and calm, was wheeled into the OR, got the spinal started and a few minutes later we were parents!

My SIL had c/s both times and both were emergency and I really think it would have been better for her to have scheduled the second one. With her first experience, I wouldn't have tried again at all.

But all that being said, I plan on having a VBAC, so we'll see if I eat my words! (man, a goofy smiley would be good here).
Juliannasmom responded:
I was wondering the same thing. I had a c-section with DD and am not sure if I want to try for a VBAC whenever we have another LO. I was also induced so I feel like I missed the whole excitement of my water breaking and the rush to the hospital experience. I would like to let my body go into labor naturally and then go in and prep for a c-section (if I don't try for a VBAC) instead of having it scheduled. But I've never personally heard of that happening so I'm not sure if a doctor will allow that or not.
leftcoastgirl responded:
Juliannasmom, here's hoping we have the opportunity to have our c-sections unplanned again!

I have to say, my c-section experience was wonderful. I started running a fever during labor and wasn't progressing, so the doctor recommended it. It was not an emergency c-section - just an unplanned one. I still felt like I had a great birth experience, and my recovery was beautiful.

I am very, very hesitant to have a planned c-section because I've read about risks to the infant. (Essentially, planned c-sections are more likely to result in problems for the newborn.) I have absolutely no qualms about going through another c-section - I just hope that I'll get the opportunity to go into labor naturally if I do.
ariannasmommy1125 replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
I don't think most docs will let you plan to go into labor & then have a c-section, but maybe some will. I would like to have a VBAC, but because I had a "traditional" c-section (horizontal) I probably will not have the option. DD was an emergency c-section due to heart rate issues. When I get pregnant with #2 I will insist that my doc schedules my c-section past the 39 week mark. Most of the time when babies have issues from planned c-sections it is because they were scheduled to be born before 39 weeks.
leftcoastgirl replied to ariannasmommy1125's response:
Oh! I didn't realize you could have input on when the schedule c-section takes place. That's really good to know.
ariannasmommy1125 replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
As long as there is no medical reason to do it earlier, my OB said there is no reason that we can't wait until 39 weeks for the c-section. I learned when I was having my DD that doctors can lean on you for certain things such as early induction, etc but as the patient you still have a choice!
smileysmom replied to ariannasmommy1125's response:
Most doctors will schedule c-sections at 39 weeks (keeping in mind that 37 weeks is full-term). This is so that you DON'T go into labor on your own.... the risk goes up once a women has started labor (especially if your water breaks... infection). Remember that c-sections are major surgeries and require an operating room, staff, etc. Most hospitals are in limited supply of these things so they need to be prepared for them (as much as possible). Successful VBAC's are less risky than planned c-sections but unplanned c-sections following VBAC's are the highest risk. Unfortunately, it's a crap-shoot because you don't know if your VBAC will be successful (thus my dilemma) so I am leaning more towards letting nature take it's course. If I go into labor on my own before 39 weeks I will try for a VBAC but if my scheduled date comes up, I will go for the c-section. I think. Ughhhhhhhhh - I hate this! Maybe I'll just wait and see!
fsuchick1976 responded:
DD1 was an emergency c-section. I just had DD2 last week via planned c-section. My recovery has been soooo much easier this time around. My ob scheduled the c-section for 39 weeks so that we would know DD2 was ready. If I had gone into labor before 39 weeks, my ob told me to get the hospital asap. It's a lot easier on your body if you have the c-section when you aren't in labor.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 26 years old, married, with a beautiful 19 month old daughter who is my world! :) I work full time so I feel like I'm not around as much as I...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.