Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

How do I charge? (APO 12-16 month board)
sarahaguirre posted:
My mother in law watches Stella right now 4 times a week. I bring her in at least one day a week but soon will have to stop because she is way too mobile for me right now. My mother in law is now saying she is getting exhausted and would like us to find someone to watch her once maybe twice a week. I have found a at home sitter but am clueless as to how much I should offer to pay. What is the standard rate for one to two days per week?

ad1978 responded:
This varies so much, depending on many factors, including where you live. Is this person going to sit at your house, or her own house? That might make a difference. I can tell you that our day care (not a home sitter) costs $260 a week for 5 days, and we live in NJ.

Maybe check out craigslist.com or other sites to look for what sitters/nannies in your area are charging?

dawlfin2 responded:
I have DS in a home daycare. For full time, we are charged $175/week (breaks down to $35/day). I know for part time charges $40/day. That seems pretty standard around me.

MAllen81 responded:
Our babysitter charges us $45/day - that's $20 for DS that's 3.5 years, and $25 for DS that's 16 months. DS #2 will decrease to $20 I think at age 2.

My brother takes my niece to an in home sitter, too, and she charges $20 for her and she's 10 months.

We live near St. Louis, and I'm sure it's different across the country.

smileysmom responded:
I'm in SoCal and I pay $40/day for DD - up to 10 hours per day. When #2 gets here in May, she will only charge $50/day for both kids because DD will be a little older by then. I think that $30 - $40 per day for care at a home daycare (vs. daycare center) is pretty standard around here.

smileysmom replied to smileysmom's response:
I forgot to add... this is for care 2 days per week.

momtobegrunden responded:
Was this something you haven't discussed with her yet? Most in-home providers have a set amount they charge already established. Just ask her what she charges; then there's no pressure on you to get the "right" price. You also don't want to offer $40/day if she was only going to charge you $20!

I personally charge $25/day for newborn-18 months and $20/day for 18 months-preschool (in rural Ohio).

leftcoastgirl responded:
I also live in SoCal and have a sitter who comes to my home and watches LO one-on-one. We pay her $12/hour.

TanyaJP replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
i'm in pittsburgh, pa and have ds in an in-home daycare...i pay $25 a day for all day and $15 a day for 4 hours or less. i'm sure it would be more in california but just wanted to give you an idea. like pp said, i would ask her what she charges and go from there.

sarahaguirre responded:
The reason why I ask is because she's a friend of my MIL's and has agreed to watch her. I know she's going to be really sweet and not ask for much but I def. don't want to take advantage. Thanks for all the replies. It's helped me alot!

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am married to the most wonderful man in the world. we got married valentines day feb.14, 2008. we have an incredible son together. hayden was born j...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.