Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Who's still bf-ing? (Poll)
jlcohen78 posted:
I told you I wanted to liven this board up! :)

1. So how old is your DC?

2. How often are you nursing?

3. What are your plans for weaning?

4. How much cow's milk does your DC drink?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jlcohen78 responded:
1. So how old is your DC? 17 1/2 months

2. How often are you nursing? Still on-demand. At least 5 times a day. One of the side effects for DD's anti-seizure medications is an increased urge for sucking. Lucky me, lol! Before we had the issues with the seizures, she was down to 2 times a day.

3. What are your plans for weaning? Following her lead and hoping by age 2. I'm glad I've continued this long with her because it's the one piece of comfort that I can guarentee her when she's in the hospital.

4. How much cow's milk does your DC drink? If we are lucky, 3 oz. And that's a pretty big if.

1stTimeJMom responded:
1. DS is 16 1/2 months old.

2. We nurse on demand, too. Probably average 5-6 times per day, including 1-2 times through the night (*sigh*).

3. I nursed my 1st DS until he was 18 months (and I was pregnant and losing a supply). I had set my target date for DS2 as 18 months, too, but will nurse longer if he wants!

4. Can only guesstimate it to be 8 oz ish?!

bella0715 responded:
DS is 19 months old

We nurse twice a day (morning and before bed)

No plans to wean yet

Probably about 16-24 oz of cow's milk per day

rachbug8 responded:
1. So how old is your DC? Nearly 16 months

2. How often are you nursing? 4-5x a day.

3. What are your plans for weaning? Don't have any yet. We'll see if he doesn't stop on his own.

Generally a cup-full (He uses 12 oz cups) or so a day. I would've thought he would eat like a bird nursing so much and adding milk, but no... He eats way more than his older brother.

MontanaMama2009 responded:
I hope I can respond in regards to my older two kids (since my Nettie has already weaned herself).

I didn't quit nursing my children until they were 2 years of age. But by that time, they were only nursing morning and bedtime. It was more for the comfort of things than the nutrition.

Eventually, my body just shut down and quit producing milk for them. One side quit working, LOL, and then the other.

I know some moms frowned upon my nursing style. I mean, if my kid could say "Mommy milk, pweeze?" they figured they were way beyond weaing. LOL :)

But I'm a firm believer in nursing, so I say you ladies continue to do so as long as you can. Before you know it, your children will be 15 and you will be purchasing them bras and driver's ed classes.

:)

simerlm responded:
1. So how old is your DC? Aly is 19 months

2. How often are you nursing? We are still nursing on demand also. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little less. At least 5 times a day, I'm thinking. And she still gets up at night at least twice.

3. What are your plans for weaning? A couple of weeks ago, I tried cutting down to naptime and bedtime. It worked for about one day and then totally backfired. She is teething hard and now doesn't want to eat food. She wants to go back to nursing a ton again. She was sleeping better at night and now, we're back to waking up 3-4 times a night. So, I decided to quit even thinking about weaning until she starts eating better again.

4. How much cow's milk does your DC drink? It depends on the day. Sometimes she will drink 5oz and sometimes she'll drink up to 10.

jlcohen78 responded:
What sweet relief to hear that DD isn't the only one who is still waking up to nurse at night!!! She was sleeping through the night up until the seizures started back up at the end of December. But we're back to co-sleeping now so it's not a big deal. It's also nice to hear that she's not the only "older" 1 year old who is nursing at least 5 times a day!

And thanks for the words of encouragement Kim!

Good job ladies!!!

leftcoastgirl responded:
1. So how old is your DC?
She's 20 months old

2. How often are you nursing?
Really depends on the day as she nurses on demand. Minimum would be three times (morning, when I get home from work and bedtime), but it can definitely be more. She also typically wakes once or twice a night to nurse. Sometimes she sleeps for 4-5 hours then wakes. Sometimes it's 7-8 hours before she wakes.

3. What are your plans for weaning?
Right now I'm prepared to go as long as she wants. We'll see if that changes.

Hmm, well she eats cereal with milk in the morning and has a couple of ounces of milk with her lunch and dinner. Maybe 8 oz a day?

ad1978 responded:
Interesting to see so many similar responses. I'll shake up the response a bit :)

1. So how old is your DC? 12 months

2. How often are you nursing? never, and haven't since she was a few days old

3. What are your plans for weaning? n/a

4. How much cow's milk does your DC drink? still on formula, but transitioning to cow's milk very soon.

KCAimee replied to ad1978's response:
Strange response since her poll was "who is still BF'ing?" Seems like she is looking to see who is actually still BF'ing.

cduffy replied to KCAimee's response:
I agree with Aimee's response to ad1978...strange to chime in when you didn't BF after a few days old and this poll was targeted to those that are still BF. Hmmm...

Anywho...kudos to you ladies for making it so long! I wish I was right there with ya'.

roni090909 responded:
I am amazed at how many of you are still BFing. Big kuddos to you guys!!! I was done after 12 months of it and Tyler pretty much weaned himself a couple weeks after his bday. I agree with all of you it a parenting decision and you all go for as long as your feel necessary for your children. I personally think extended BFing is great and I completely understand the bonding thing. I still miss that with Tyler.

almostthere2317 responded:
Carley is a year old,

Usually in the morning when I get home from work and before bed.

3. This is where I"m stuck.. I think she is doing this as more of a comfort than nutrition thing but I found out I'm pregnant again and my supply has dramatically dropped I don't know what to do to wean her.. I feel so bad.. (I have another post out there about finding out I was pregnant and the guilt there so thank you everyone for your kind words there)
If any of you have been in this position what did you do?

No cows milk yet but she goes back for her one year appointment on the 24th. I would really like to start giving her some.

cduffy replied to almostthere2317's response:
almostthere,

I found out I was preggo when my DD was a little over 11 mos old. I really wanted to continue nursing, but my OB recommended I stop because she considered me a miscarriage risk (I had 2 m/c before having DD). I talked to DD's pedi, and she said that since she was so close to 12 mos, I could start weaning and start giving her cow's milk rather than put her on formula for a couple of weeks. Well, she hated it!!! Her pedi recommended that we give her lots of whole milk yogurt, cheese and ice cream (yes, ice cream), and not to worry about her not drinking the cow's milk. We just kept offering it to her as well as offering her plenty of other full fat dairy options and plenty of other fluids to drink along with the little breast milk she was getting to make sure she was wetting her diapers enough. It was a stressful month or more, but eventually DD started drinking the milk and now at 17 mos she drinks 18 oz a day.

As for weaning, I just cut out daytime sessions first, then the morning session, then the night session was last. At times when I would normally nurse, I would just give her a sippy cup instead. It was not hard on her at all; it was much harder on me emotionally!

Congrats by the way! I didn't see your other post about the guilt (so maybe this has all been said), but this is so, so common. This same topic has been on these boards before, and I loved one gal's response. She said really, we should be feeling bad for the new baby coming, not the one we already have, because they don't get any mommy and daddy only time...they have to share it with their older sibling. So true, and it really put things into perspective for me!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mommy to Charlie born 11/4/08. 24 years old. Going back and forth between southern Illinois(STL area) and West Michigan. BFP 3/23 EDD is 11/18/10! Sti...More

Helpful Tips

Heat time
Try reducing the heat time a little each week and see if that helps the transition. www.lilkidshop.com More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.