Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

parenting advice
MISSBUBBLEYAJG posted:
I have come to realize that parenting is much harder than I thought or I just never imagined it could be. Now that I am a mother I have all these responsibilities and am responsible for this little growing child. I feel at times I have no idea what Im doing or that I wasnt cut out for this. Ok so I will admit Miss Celeste is spoiled beyond funny..lol and I have let her get away with things that I shouldnt have, well its catching up with me. She throws tantrums at the littlest things, she thinks she can run buck wild, and here I am looking like a crazy mom chasing after her then when I catch her she kicks and screams..people are looking at her like shes the cutest thing and Im frazzled. lol I was at my dr yesterday and he suggested some parenting classes, but really didnt think I needed them as long as I stay consistent with her and firm. I know thats pretty much all I need to do its just hard hearing her cry, I want her to be happy always. I need to be realistic because I know life is not easy, I need to teach her tools to deal with life and a little discipline. Anyone have advice on how I can deal with this, get over my guilt's and nip this in the bud? Ill admit, Im still getting the hang of this. I dont know how to deal with so many things at once. It sucks and its hard to deal with "life", trying to find myself, and raise my baby girl. Im not superwoman, but I sure do try to be. Its exhausting..(btw...wheres the smiley icons??)

jlcohen78 responded:
Angie....

It is so true as to what they say about parenting. It's the hardest yet most rewarding job there is. First of all, just know that how Celeste is behaving is pretty typcial of an 18 month old. She is testing her limits (and yours). That's her job at this point, lol! Have you looked into any parenting books? I have found Happiest Toddler on the Block to be helpful and 1,2,3 Magic. It also sounds like you could use someone to talk to. Maybe a therapist? You've been through so much lately. (((hugs)))

alliegirl77 responded:
Oh I don't know that parenting classes can get rid of our feelings as mom's to "solve" problems and respond to our kids. :-)

What I will say is that kids need and thrive on structure and need that discipline part of what we provide as parents to be well-adjusted adults. So that being said...what I would recommend is reading "Parenting with Love and Logic". It really has helped me parent better - yes even when I am frazzled with love when all I want to do is lose it with her.

The offer classes on this in our local school district even and I haven't taken the class yet but you might check into that. I a huge fan of trying to better my parenting skills but what you have to come to grips with is that no one is perfect, there isn't a right or wrong way necessarily but by providing healthy boundaries and teaching them what is right and wrong - even when it's hard is part of loving them.

MISSBUBBLEYAJG responded:
I think books are a wonderful idea! boy but when would I have the time to read them...lol Maybe I could go to a local library?

alliegirl77 replied to MISSBUBBLEYAJG's response:
I read when Sarah goes to bed at night. She goes down about 7:30 so I usually read for a few hours and then hit the hay myself. I also read during her naps on the weekends if I have cleaned the house, done the laundry, etc. I make time for relaxing...you have to as a mom.

As for the library...that's where I get most of my books. I don't buy them.

MontanaMama2009 responded:
Angie,

It is SO the age right now, for sure.

Parenting correctly is a very demanding job. Our children, no matter what age, are always testing the waters and trying to cross boundaries. It is exhausting, to say the least.

I've often wondered about people who remark, "Parenting isn't so bad." Oh, really? Because I find myself marking and remarking the boundaries daily...for THREE children.

It's true, too, that we need to pick our battles. If Celeste wants to run around the house naked for a bit...no harm, no foul. But if she's throwing temper tantrums and you give in and she gets her way, that's a different story.

One thing to remember: We are parents, not best friends, to our children.

You're doing a great job, girl.

leftcoastgirl responded:
I've found the Dr. Sears book The Discipline Book to be really helpful as well.

But, as PP said, don't beat yourself up over your LO acting up in public. We've alI been there - and it's totally normal (and exhausting!).

Spotlight: Member Stories

i'm married to my best friend and we have a fantistic blended family.i have two children,a ds18yrs. and a dd 13yrs.and he has two dd 13yrs. and 7y...More

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.