Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

OT: anyone watched Food, Inc?
KCAimee posted:
Has anyone watched this movie? It's about our food system and where it realy comes from. How large corporations run the entire food system and will sue anyone who stands in their way. They control the farmers and the supply. It also talks about our meat and where it comes from. OMG! It was so eye opening! How they wash the beef with ammonia to get rid of e-coli. Cloned meat, chickens who can't stand up. It was crazy.

This year we got a beef from my dad who is a farmer. It is a grass fed cow (cows are not meant to eat corn!) and I know how it was cared for and processed. I'm so glad we did it. So much better and the meat is way better. Now I need to find a good chicken farmer and buy more locally grown foods. I also want to plant a small garden. I was going to do all this before that film but now I'm even more set on it.

Anyway, if you have seen it what did you think?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
I haven't seen it but I think I may have to check it out! It's so scary what actually goes into our food sometimes.

KCAimee replied to ariannasmommy1125's response:
Definitely watch it. It was a great movie. Very well done. It's sad to me sometimes how far we've steered away from true home cooked meals and making our own foods. I know it's necessary at times but I really want to focus on controlling what my family eats and where it comes from. Plus I REALLY want to support local farmers.

jlcohen78 replied to KCAimee's response:
I want to see this terribly! We try to support our local farmers as much as possible. And when we shop, I tend to stay away from the processed foods as much as possible. I've even gotten into the habit of making our own bread. Part of it is for financial reasons but there is the added benefit that I know what I'm putting into my family's mouths!

cduffy responded:
I'm so afraid to watch this Aimee! lol

It's definitely on the list...but supporting local farmers and such has been something DH and I have become cognizant of lately. Now we are going to be even more careful about buying organic, etc., just to feel more proactive about taking care of ourselves after DH's cancer scare.

katieb426 responded:
I've heard lots about this movie. I am totally interested in seeing it, but sometimes stuff like this makes me feel so hopeless!

We do a vegetable (and strawberries) garden every year. It's a great way to teach you kiddos about food, the environment, creation, and life in general! We love picking things from the garden and adding them to our supper! :)

KCAimee replied to katieb426's response:
Katie....I felt more enlightened and hopeful than hopeless after watching it. The big point they say is that we vote by our dollars. If we want healthier foods, better standards for workers, the environment and animals...it's up to us to change it. It really was great. For me it was so inteesting to learn about genetically modified foods. It was really interesting.

That's awesome you do a garden. We said we were going to and I'm pretty set on it. Plus how it reduces your carbon emissions because the produce is not shipped. By the time a meal is put on your table it has traveled an average of 1,500 miles. CRAZY!

Jamie...do you just use a bread maker? I need to get one. I'd love to make more of my own bread products.

Courtney...I think that is great you guys are focusing on that. The genetically modified foods have been tested to increase chances of cancer and 70% of food in the store has genetically modified ingredients. It's really crazy.

leftcoastgirl responded:
I liked it as well. Don't know if anyone has read the book The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (he was one of the people interviewed in the movie), but it goes more in-depth on many of the subjects that Food Inc. covers. Both the book and the movie really made me think about the foods I put in my body and in my LO's body. It's unfortunate that healthy foods are more expensive than junk food - hopefully that will change!

MontanaMama2009 responded:
Really? REALLY? They wash meat with ammonia? How disgusting.

We've always been lucky in that DH shoots an elk and deer every year, so that's what he usually have. However, this year DH didn't get his elk or deer and so I'm buying meat.

Can I get this move through, like, Netflix?

KCAimee replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
YES! The beef are riddled with e-coli from the cows eating the corn and not grass which they are meant to eat. Well, some beef processor came up with an ammonia wash that kills the e-coli. It was crazy.

That is awesome you get your own meat. At least you know what you are eating!

We have a netflix subscription and it is available for online instant viewing through them.

KCAimee replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
I just reserved The Omnivore's Dilemma from my library. I can't wait to read it!

kristinrayerootes replied to KCAimee's response:
We do our own garden too. I love it! We are actually still eating fresh carrots out of last year's garden and it is almost time to plant them again! If you don't have a lot of room or can't find time to dig up the yard, you can always start with some potted vegetables. Tomatoes work great in a pot if you can keep them watered. Also, we do bush green beans I think they take up a ton of less room than pole beans.

kristinrayerootes responded:
I also want to add that we make our own salsa and can it in the fall. If you are ever interested, I can share the recipe and a whole site of canning information. Also, you can make zucchini bread and freeze it. There are just lot of things you can do to make it last beyond when it would actually be fresh.

Shena1981 responded:
Dh and I recently watched this movie. It's a great movie. We buy as much organic as possible. We now only use organic dairy products which taste WAY better. After this movie we started buying as much organic meat as possible. It's kind of scary how the food is handled, so we figured we'd try and avoid that. When in season we buy all of our produce from local farm stands as well as "steal" stuff from our parents gardens :)

We changed our eating habits in Oct. We don't buy any processed foods. Pretty much most of what we buys goes in the fridge and not in the cupboards. If you buy chicken it should look like chicken and not a nugget :) Even though DD eats junk when she goes to her grandparents I at least know I;m teaching her good habits at home

I'm also excited about Jaime Oliver's new show Food Revolution.

jlcohen78 replied to KCAimee's response:
Aimee - I do use a bread maker --- no patience for doing it by hand, lol! I also make rolls, pretzels, bagels and pizza dough with it. Regular bread and pizza dough are so easy. Just measure everything and let the machine do the work.

Spotlight: Member Stories

DH Erich, 26. DD Felicity, 13 months.

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.