Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

HELP potty training my son!
wilburlbh posted:
im super clueless when it comes to potty training. especially since i dont have a penis! he is very interested in the potty now & tells me when he is poopy. im super excited he is finally ready to start potty training. i just dont know what to do with him. he never goes potty when i bring him in there. do you it him down on the potty or does he stand up & pee like daddy? how often do i take him? what if he doenst go? do i wait? HELP!

me-larissa, dh-brian, ds-hayden 21mo, edd 4-14-10! its a girl!

bravefan76 responded:
He sits down right now. Do you have a potty seat or a seat that sits on top of your toilet? That would be the first step. We have both. An actual seat at our house and a seat topper at my mom's, who watches him during the day. Just let him get used to sitting on the potty. Take him first thing when he wakes up, if he wakes up from a nap dry take him then. Ask him if he needs to go potty and then take him if he gives you signs that he does. He may not go right now or he may not go every time. Colton goes every morning and is not more consistently going throughout the day if you ask him and if you take him when he gets up from his naps. Just start out slow and be encouraging, but don't make it a bad experience or scary in any way for him. GL

wilburlbh replied to bravefan76's response:
thanks. we have a potty that sits on the floor not one for the big potty.

megbrubaker responded:
This is what I do. DS is 22 months old and we have slowly been introducing the potty (and he successfully has peed 3x on it).

He had a potty chair and he was afraid of it (we got this chair for free and I didnt really like the idea of having to clean it out after he was done), so we bought him a Elmo potty seat that sits on our toilet. He does sit down to potty. And I usually squat in front of him to talk to him (this is proving to get more and more difficult with my huge belly and my lack of balance now a days), He asks who else is on the seat and I tell him. And then usually he cries adn wants down. I just keep asking him "lets try to go potty ok hunny" or something liek that.

Last night we had a successful potty try and he peed in the toliet. I let him take in a book with him and this seemed to keep his intrest and he wasnt freakign out about sitting on the potty, but i could tell he was peeing before I heard it because he stopped and looked at me all funny. It must feel different to them or soemthing. So then I was like YAYAYAYY GO BOSTON, lets go tell daddy! All excited and he went runnign to tell daddy.

We try sitting him on the potty before he takes his showers at night just for a minute or two to get him use to the potty idea. But last night he had a dry diaper and it had been that way for 2 hrs so I thought I better try...and it worked. I tried again this morning after I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty adn he said yes, I didnt hear him pee (stupid water softner was too loud), but he did sit on it long enough for me to finish my makeup. So I thought that was a start.

**I am however trying to get DH, aka Daddy, to sit and pee, so that if Boston seeing him going potty that they do it the same way. I have not successfully got this to work yet. But I do know (from what my mom told me) that she convienced my dad to sit and pee when she was potty training my brother and she said it seemed to help!!!

**At first I would take him just to get him use to the potty, we have been doing it at night before bed, and now I am going to start doing it in the mornings too, i just dont want him to be afraid of the potty if you know waht I mean. OR...if you notice that when you go to chanage his diaper and its dry, i'd try to put him on it then.

**If he doesn't go, I try to say something like "o its ok, we will try again later...thanks for being a big boy and sitting on the potty for mommy" or soemthign liek that.

Ok, I think I talked to much!!! HTH!!!!

(O and congrats on the little girl, Im due 6-19-10 with a girl too) :-)

katieb426 responded:
I stared my boys out sitting down. When they were tall enough, we would put a step stool by the toilet for them to stand on. They grab the back of the toilet seat while it is up, lean over and potty. Does that make sense? We actually had playgroup at our house one morning and I had one of the older boys show my son how to do it. It worked great!

Unfortunately, my husband works so much that he wasn't really home enough to show the boys how to potty standing up. He helps whenever he is home, but the bulk of potty training has been left up to me.

katieb426 replied to katieb426's response:
That should say, I "started" my boys out sitting down

MontanaMama2009 responded:
Funny story about toddler boys using the potty (and keep in mind I have THREE girls):

I was at McD's in the bathroom when this woman came in with several children. She was assisting one and the other was holding himself yelling, "I have to go now!" And doing the potty dance.

So I asked if I could help out her little boy, and she gratefully said, "YES!"

So I walked little guy over to the next stall, asked him: Do you sit to potty? Or do you stand?"

he says, "I sit."

So I helped him take down his britches, sat him on the potty, squatted down to help balance him, and he begins to pee.

Only I didn't know to tell him to "tuck" it when he pees, so his pee is streaming all over me, my shoes, my front, and onto the floor!

I didn't yell for fear that I'd forever mentally scar this poor little guy. And although I wanted to grab "it" and tuck it for him, I didn't know this little boy from Adam.

Thankfully, after a few seconds, he realized what was going on, and he tucked himself down into the potty.

His mother was totally embarassed, but little guy was so proud that he went on the potty.

Ha Ha ha Ha! :) :) :)

dawlfin2 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
LOL, well, I would say that you handled that like a champ.

wongangela replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Oh that's hilarious! I can't stop laughing! :) You are such a good samaritan - plus you didn't even yell when he sprayed you!

Thanks for the giggle :)

KatieS83 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
your a bigger person then me! I woulda died, i get skeeved out when DS has the "cold air reaction" in the morning and starts peeing like a fountain. You are a good sport! :) cute story though!

sarahann1978 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
See Kim, you need a blog to write all of this stuff down!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am proud mommy, not perfect, but proud! Living learning and working to give her a better future and a better life!

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.