Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Does anyone elses LO wake up at night?
Jennax907 posted:
My son will be a year at the end of the month and still insists on waking up 2 times a night for a bottle. I just don't understand? I feel like I'm the only parent out there that still has to get up with their baby. My husband is 6'4 so maybe he needs the extra calories during the night to keep up with his growth? LO is 32" and 20lbs. Oh, and he's fine if he takes a 20min cat nap during the day. He'll get up at 6am and stay up until 7-730. So my questions are:

Does anyone else still have to get up?

Does your LO still take naps duing the day? and for how long?

leftcoastgirl responded:
My LO still wakes at night, and she's 20 months. Her blocks of sleep vary from maybe 4-5 hours to 7-8 hours. She'll typically awaken once or twice a night in a sort of twilight state (not fully awake, not fully asleep), and I'll pat or nurse her back to sleep. Last night she went to bed at 10 p.m. and woke once at 5 a.m. She nursed and then went back to sleep until 7:45.

MontanaMama2009 responded:
My LO is 20 months old and she still wakes at night.

She will go down at about 7:30 or 8:00 p.m., sleep until about 2 or 3, wake up. I usually end up changing a water-logged diaper, give her a sip of milk from a cup I keep next to her bed, and find her binkie and lay down with her.

She'll sleep with me until about 6 or 6:30.

Yes, she naps twice a day. And hour each time, morning and afternoon.

mommyof12b2 responded:
My DD is 17 month old and she wakes up once at night too. I do not nurse her if it is before 5AM. I am happy to see other Mommy's with babies that wake up still at night because her sitter makes me feel that she is the only baby who does not sleep all night. It always makes me feel so inadequate..

MontanaMama2009 replied to mommyof12b2's response:
mommyof12,

I have found that when I've felt inadequate in the past over parenting techniques, and I try to "do" whatever it is I'm feeling inadequate over, it usually doesn't work out.

I have found that my parenting techniques work best for my family and my children. However someone else raises their children may work best for them.

I have a friend who likes to tell me how to raise my children. I think sometimes she has a valid point or two...but to implement her parenting techniques in my lifestyle just doesn't work.

So long as you love your children, feed them when they're hungry, bathe them when they're dirty, your child will turn out wonderfully!

:0 :)

Jennax907 responded:
Most of my friends have recommeded the cry it out method. However, I just can't. I can't listen to him cry for hours on end for me. It breaks my heart. He'll be standing up in his crib facing his bedroom door with big tears streaming down his face (we still have a monitor in his bedroom) until I go get him. Usually he just wants a bottle and a diaper change and goes right back to sleep. I just want to avoid having an 18 month old that gets up a couple of times a night and trying to attend to a new baby. I wont be getting any sleep!

Jamelita replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
My 20 month old has just started waking up again, usually around 1AM. DH goes in there and lays her back down, sometimes it takes him a little while to get her back to sleep. I don't think it's at all unreasonable for a 1 year old to wake at night. I know my DD did not sleep "through the night" until after she was 1.

KatieS83 responded:
my LO wakes up once, but he'll play and then go back to sleep on his own. He takes one nap after lunch about 12:30ish and sleeps until 2:30-3pm i'm trying to push his bed time by about 1/2 hour to 7:30pm to see if he will sleep in a little. Have you tried giving your LO a snack before bed?

rosalitac responded:
hi
my son will be a year in 2 weeks and he still wakes up at night. Usually around 2-3am and I nurse him back to sleep. But some night he might not wake up at all (not often!) and some other night he will wake up 4 or 5 times (he nurses almost every time!). I say go with the flow and follow his cues, he'll sleep through the night on his own time. As for the napping, my DS used to catnap during the day until maybe a month ago where he started sleeping between 1 and 1 1/2 hour in the morning, then between 1/2 an hour to an hour in the middle of the afternoon. Some day he'll sleep a little less or take a catnap just before dinner.
HTH

fotogirl525 responded:
This is going to be what makes me break:) My 16mo won't sleep in her bed, only in her bouncy (good thing she is little). She wakes up a few times and I give her a binky and cover her up and she goes back to sleep then ususally will wake up again around 4-5am for a bottle of milk. Also she keeps pushing her sleep time later and later. Unfortunatly we have limited space and she shares a room with hubby and I or will sometimes sleep in her big sister's room. I need to figure out how to get her on a better night but not sure how to go about it.

almostthere2317 responded:
My LO is the same way and I feel like I'm pleading with her to sleep! She has blocks of sleep as well. She'll sleep for about 4-5 hours and every once in a while she'll sleep all night but that is few and far between.. She's a little over a year old. She does the "twilight state" thing like leftcoastgirl said about her lo too. I can never even get her to bed until 10.. She's such a night owl..
I know it is frustrating but hang in there, we're here for you!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mama of two amazing kiddos. My son was born in August '08 and my daughter in January '10. I live in the mountains of Color...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.