Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Cutting Nails!
bellacullen posted:
Hi everyone,

I know I've seen tips on this before, but we weren't having this much of an issue at the time, so I'm hoping someone won't mind sharing again.

DS is 14.5 months. It's getting progressively more difficult to clip his nails. We've tried everywhere and every time--when he's asleep, when he's groggy, when he's occupied with food or a toy--and he freaks out and pulls away every time. Today I ended up taking a chunk out of his thumb. But if we let the nails grow, all of us get scratched up.

What do you all do to help LO sit still long enough to clip his/her nails?

TIA!

roni090909 responded:
I find the best time to do it with my DS is right after bathtime when he is on the changing table getting lotioned and dressed for bed. This is when he is the most relaxed.

lenono97 responded:
Same problem! I also took a chunk out of LO's finger last week. Tonight my husband had to hold her arm steady for me while I clipped. She cried the entire time, but we got it done. Not fun!

earleyml1012 responded:
I know you said you tried this but what works for us is while she's eating animal crackers or an ice pop. DH holds her and I trim away. Good luck! I hope you find something that works.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
I hate cutting nails!!

DS will only sit still if I'm holding him, Daddy's cutting his nails, and he gets to hold an extra pair of baby nail clippers in one hand. He pretends to cut nails right along with Daddy.It's the ONLY thing that works..

Of course, he's closer to 2, he's almost 21 months. But when he was about the same age as your DS, he would only let ME cut them, he didn't give me any trouble. He would scream at DH if he tried to do it. LOL

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a student, employee, wife, and mother of three adorable LO's. Ages 8, 3(almost 4), and 1. Long time lurker, and new member!

Helpful Tips

Sippy Tether!
http://www.comfykids.eu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102 I got 2 of these. 1 for DD and 1 for DS. They attach to their sippy ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.