Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

All this time out talk...
cduffy posted:
Am I the only one who hasn't started time outs yet (DD will be 18 mos in a week)?

From the reading I've done, my personal opinion on the subject is that I'm waiting until closer to 2 to start with time outs. DD hasn't started hitting or anything, though, so I guess I don't really think there's anything time out worthy she's doing just yet either, but I guess I don't feel like she'll "get it" yet, and it would just make my days more miserable. Mostly, I just tell her what we "should" do and redirect her...

Anyway, am I the only one?? :)

JessicaRae83 responded:
No, I'm with you. I personally don't see a point in doing it if I know that my son won't understand that it's a consequence for hitting, or biting, etc.. I also just redirect and not try to reward the negative behavior with attention.

kristinrayerootes responded:
We don't really do it either yet because Macie is only 16 months and I don't think she will really understand either. However, every once and a while she will be put on our bed. This only happens when she is throwing an awful fit though, like last night...

roni090909 responded:
I started with Tyler a couple months ago because he was hitting all the time and it wasn't playful, it was out of anger. I tried everything and he just thought it was all funny, until timeout. That has been the only thing that worked for this situation. He doesn't get it often and I think the last time he got it was Jan. Mostly he just get redirected. So no you aren't alone, timeout for us is a very last resort. I try all other avenues first but sometimes its the only thing that works. And surprisingly he does understand timeout and he has for a while now. Usually he's well behaved and doesn't need any form of punishment.

KCAimee responded:
I posted this in one of the other threads but nope, no timeouts yet here. Hayden is 21 mo (this week) and I don't think she will get it. We still do redirection and a firm no. It is working. I didn't do time out with Madison until she was 2

tamliz08 responded:
I haven't either. I honestly don't see that as something that would work for us right now.

lenono97 responded:
We don't do time outs. As a matter of fact, at my DD's 15 month appointment last week the pedi made a point of saying she is still too young for that. Luckily, we don't have behavior problems that can't be solved by re-direction.

smatusiak responded:
I don't think there's anything wrong with not doing time outs. Every parent/child has what works best for them or maybe nothing is necessary yet. Our pedi also said time outs are more effective after age 2. We started doing them casually with Kayla a couple months ago (she's 19 months now) because she was hitting. The first few times she screamed like crazy in time out or wouldn't stay there. Now we've used it for things other than hitting and sometimes all we have to do is say "do you want to go to time out?" and she stops. The other day I said that and she actually put herself in timeout which made me laugh. She doesn't usually cry anymore, but looks sad/bored. She waits for us to tell her she can come out and she comes running over to give us a hug. That's her way of saying sorry. So anyway, I think every child is ready at a different time and every child responds to a certain type of punishment/redirection, etc. Just do what you and your DD are ready for.

mtnwolf responded:
Not here either. Haven't given it much thought. I'm not sure she'll get it yet. She responds well to a firm voice when told no, redirecting, or a spanking when necessary, so we'll just have to see later. So far, so good!

jlcohen78 responded:
We do use time outs but as I said in another post, DD has only been put in there 2 or 3 times. I just want to clarify my use of time outs at this age. We start to use them when redirection does not work. It's not so much about sitting in the corner of the room as a form of punishment but a way to get their mind off of what they were doing. I guess it's more of a cool off period away from what is causing the issue. The way I hadle time out for DD is completely different than for DS. DD is more of a time in where as DS is a true time out. Does that make sense?

Jackie03291 replied to jlcohen78's response:
We do use time outs but not too frequently, I would say that dd has only been put in one a handful of times, and I'm pretty sure she understands, because now I can threaten a time out and she usually will stop the bad behavior, which unfortunately for me, has been hitting and pulling the dog's tail lately!

linzuh04 responded:
I dont with DS. He's only 16 mos, so he'd only sit there for a minute anyway. Now, with DD, she has to sit there 3.5 minutes, so she KNOWS how badly timeouts suck...lol....but for a minute? IMO it's pointless...lol.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amanda(33), DH (37), DS - Zachary 10/3/08

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.