Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Those Were The Days
MontanaMama2009 posted:
Most of you are too young to remember Archie Bunker's "All in the Family" sitcom from the 70s and 80s. But I distinctly hear Edith singing these words:

"Those Were The Days"
by Lee Adams and Charles Strouse

Boy, the way Glen Miller played. Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us, we had it made. Those were the days.
Didn't need no welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days.
And you know who you were then, girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
People seemed to be content. Fifty dollars paid the rent.
Freaks were in a circus tent. Those were the days.
Take a little Sunday spin, go to watch the Dodgers win.
Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin.
Hair was short and skirts were long. Kate Smith really sold a song.
I don't know just what went wrong. Those Were The Days.
---------------------------------------------------------------

As Easter approaches, I'm reminded of my childhood days on Easter Sunday. They went a little bit like this:

The night before Easter Sunday, my mother would throw me and my little sister into the bath tub, scrub us from head to toe -- we were urchin children, really, always had dirt under our nails from digging trails in the woods and rarely wore shoes during the summertime -- washed the leaves and woods-y things out of our hair, and sat us down on the floor of the livingroom where she proceeded to meticulously roll our hair in curlers.

These curlers weren't your modern-day curlers. These suckers were hard plastic curlers with spikes all around them in every direction. The spikes were meant to hold your hair on the curler better. Which they did. But man, those spikes felt like I was playing Jesus in a Resurrection play. Ouch!

Sometimes, the curlers would get loose and begin to fall, so Mom would grab those really long Bobby pins, bite them open with her mouth, and stab them into our skulls and curler, where they would stay in place, hopefully, while we slept.

Sleeping was awful on the night before Easter. As I said, those curlers would sometimes hurt my head so bad that I would toss and turn all night long. Even the soft pillow I slept on didn't take away the pain I felt.

But it was worth it. Because in the morning, after my hair had spent all night drying around these plastic child abusers, my hair would fall out in beautiful spiral ringlets. My little sister and I were transformed overnight. My sis and I would dance around the room, watching our curls bounce up and down like the girls in the shampoo commercials.

Then it was time to put on our Easter dresses, purchased in matching styles but differing colors. Then came our white gloves, our white polished church shoes, and then our Easter bonnets/hats.

We'd giggle at each other, knowing full well that we weren't looking at the same person who'd just spent the morning before digging trenches in the damp, rich soil back in the woods, or the girl who'd climbed trees to the very tip top in bare feet.

We were little ladies for a day.

Off to church, then back home for roast and potatoes with gravy. Easter baskets set out proudly on the buffet with beautiful Easter-colored ribbons and brimming with candy and jump ropes.

Yep, Those Were The Days!!!!! :) :)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
Awesome Post! My mom rolled my hair on Saturday night too, but at least we had the pink foamy rollers! I remember going to church with my parents, grandparents and my great grandparents on Easter. We all had to have gloves, hats, and new dresses. We also wore Orchid corsages to church. After church, all my cousins would come to my grandparents house and we would have dinner and a big Easter Egg Hunt!

Erica0731 replied to ariannasmommy1125's response:
I had the curlers too! Gloves, hat and corsage as well!!!! I love to think about that stuff. My dad would always go to the florist that Saturday before and get me and my mom a corsage.

mel07430 responded:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I love your posts!!!!

alliegirl77 responded:
I remember "All in the Family" well and we did have the painful rollers but my mom finally purchased the foam to save our skulls! LOL!

This is a great post. My DH and I were just chatting about what it means for little girls to be "little ladies" for a day. He didn't get it but how you described it here is perfect. Lovely post!

stephs_3_kidz replied to mel07430's response:
Awesome post, Kim!

Made me think about my Mamaw.

KityKatK8 responded:
Man, I thought you were going to say they were cloth curlers! We had some of those, but we also had the foam type. My mom used them (may still, actually). I think she did have a set of the spiky kind, too.

We never had to get so done up for Easter, just a nice dress, maybe a hat, but then again, we lived in a city, and sure, you can get dirty in a city, but less space to dig around in and no woody things to get in your hair.

MontanaMama2009 responded:
I never realized people gave corsages on Easter. What a beautiful thing!

I am hoping that when my children grow up, they will be able to "blog" something about how their mother made them dress up in matching dresses and wear dress shoes as they sat in Easter service. How Mom cooked a lovely Easter meal and they had beautiful baskets sitting on the buffet....

sarahann1978 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Oh, now you did it, you went and stirred my emotions so I have to share my story. When I was a kid my Dad's work was sporadic my family didn't have a lot of money. For one particular Easter my sister, who is 15 years older than me, was working and decided to play Easter Bunny for my family. She bought nice new baskets for all of us, I really remember how great the treat was. BUT, she bought one for my parents that had an orchid corsage. My Mom was too timid to wear such a beautiful thing to church and that upset my sister. My sister confronted her about it later within earshot of me and said "but I bought the corsage especially for you to wear to church" Wait, what, you bought the corsage?!?!?! I thought the Easter Bunny left the corsage for Mom, you mean there is no Easter Bunny, and does that mean no Santa, and no Tooth Fairy, oh man! Needless to say that was a bad, bad day for me!

mtnwolf responded:
LOL, yeah those were the days!! My how things change....

I remember those horrible curlers too! My mom was a hairdresser from the 60's, so she was always messing in my hair! I hated all that! (But, I miss mom)

MontanaMama2009 replied to sarahann1978's response:
Oh, Sara! That's a sad memory, for sure! And your poor sister! She was trying to do something so noble...and it blew up in her face.

How is your relationship with her today? Are you close?

MontanaMama2009 replied to mtnwolf's response:
Lisa,

Do you remember "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific" shampoo? LOL

MontanaMama2009 replied to mtnwolf's response:
And I hit "submit" before I was finished.

I want to say how sad I am for the loss of your mother.

No matter how old we get (and I'm nearly 40!), I still need my mother. I can't imagine not having her.

stephs_3_kidz replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
It sort of makes me sad to look back at my childhood and NOT have those memories with my mom, kwim?

I'm so glad to know there are people who DO have positive memories of Easters past, and of time with their mothers. And it makes me more determined than ever to make sure all 4 of my kiddos never have to ~wish~ things had been better.

Your memories made me smile.

My mamaw used to make me sleep in those darned spiky curlers. OUCH! lol

MontanaMama2009 replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
I think "traditions" are so important in a family dynamic. Something that is passed down from generation to generation and forms a bond, even when the elders of the family pass on.

and it's not even about having the best time ever, but about the ritual of routine on those days: like knowing you were expected to wear Easter dresses and have curled hair and the lovely meal to follow.

Because as I was lying in bed last night remembering things, I also remembered that my father was a drunk.

so sad times come to everyone, and not everything can be perfect, but it's those traditions in life that bond and bind us together.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Brit. Ive been married to DH since 2002. We had our DD on 10/11/2008. We also have one angel baby 2/2/2010 11 weeks. My Husbad works long h...More

Helpful Tips

If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this:
If you don't vaccinate your child due to fears of autism, read this: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/05/autism-vaccine.html I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.