Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Please pray for us.
MontanaMama2009 posted:
Most of you know that my DH and I totally changed our lives in April of last year by purchasing a general store and B&B in rural Montana. We quit our well paying jobs, pulled our children out of their schools, their tennis lessons, their theatre classes, their sports, and drove our belongings to our new home.

We did this because of a few reasons: DH's job was high-stress. High paying must equal high stress, because I was afraid he'd suffer a heart attack/stroke at age 45. Really. I was that scared for him. So I said, "Let's do something wild and totally change our lives."

Well, we prayed a LOT about this move, and it worked out for us to go. We said good-bye to everyone we've known for the last 15 years, put a for sale sign in the front yard of our beloved Victorian home, and drove off into the sunset, so to speak.

It all went well. Totally busy, but well. We were all together daily, working hard but totally trusting that this move was the right thing.

The girls attended a wonderful two-room schoolhouse. There was the local pond and the local fly fishing river. Wonderful, but weird, neighbors. A great new church.

But a few months later, our home didn't sell (we had a few nibbles, but the economy had taken a turn for the worst and we couldn't get out of our Victorian what we'd put into it). So we kept praying, trusting that somehow, God would work all of this out.

Seven months later, aftery paying double mortgages and only having 3 days off during that entire time period, my former boss telephones to ask if I'd like to have my job back. Dh suggested I take it since our new business relies solely on tourism during the summer months, and we were well into fall and approaching the bleak winter season.

So I packed all three children back up, packed up a trailer and SUV with our most-needed items, and moved back into our home. The children adjusted well AGAIN. No worries there.

We made it through those bleak winter months paying double mortgages, double heat bills, double phone bills, double EVERYTHING. DH took a side job as a produce person at a local grocery store back at our home, and drove back and forth 70 miles to run the general store.

We made it all the way to present. We were thankful to God that we were able to successfully get through that difficult winter and we looked forward to another summer season full of tourists....and, of course, the $$ that came with it.

Only our house never sold....so we couldn't put our second down payment on the general store. The prior owners, who sold the general store and B&B to us through contract for deed, called the note on Saturday.

We will, unfortunately, ahve to quit claim it back to them within a week's time.

It's just so sad and heartbreaking. I completely understand why the former owners are taking it back. Totally. Thank God they aren't suing us for the additional large lump sum down payment that they had every right to sue for.

But DH is struggling BIG TIME these last few days. I mean, a man's job is his ego-booster, his reason to get up in the morning.

We risked it all...and thankfully didn't lose it all, but we did lose quite a bit.

I tried to tell DH that we should be thankful still. Our children are healthy. We have our beautiful Victorian home.

But he is nonetheless very devestated.

I would very much appreciate your prayers for my DH over the next few weeks as he seeks to be re-employed into his former line of work...if he can even find another position like it.

Thanks. I appreciate it.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

MontanaMama2009 responded:
Oh, and the sermon on Sunday was so appropriate! It was about how God never said there would only be good things that happen to us, that even negative times will come.

And then the pastor named off a few well-known biblical characters who went through some pretty awful times in their lives: Joseph, sold into slavery, lived in a prison for 13 years. King David and how he lived in a cave to avoid being killed.

You get my drift.

chrisandjen0717 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Sounds like it was just the message you needed to hear! I am so sorry to hear about your struggles and will keep your family (especially DH) in my prayers. Thanks for sharing.

bella0715 responded:
Kim, I will be praying for your DH and your family. I remember how much you struggled all those months ago with what your family should do. I can't imagine his devastation. I'm sure it will take some time for him to see God's hand and his blessings for your family. You guys thankfully still own the home you love and like you said, you didn't lose it all. You took a giant leap of faith and though it didn't work out like you planned, it doesn't mean it won't work out in the future. It's all in God's timing.

smileysmom responded:
I am so sorry to hear about your mis-fortune. It sounds like you have already done what needs to be done for the sake of the family, but I can completely relate to your DH's need for pride, job, income, etc. My DH is 52 and is the same way... I think it hits the "slightly older" generation a little bit harder because most of them grew up with mom at home and dad bringing home the bacon. I work 2 jobs and it just KILLS DH that I do this. But, I am doing it for longer-term goals. I want the nice big house, the nice cars and I'm working 2 jobs because I am building a business that will hopefully allow me to work from home (95% of the time) within the next year. I'm willing to sacrifice now for a lifetime ahead of me!

Everyone always says that God works in mysterious ways and that he never give us more that we can handle. And some days I'm not sure I believe it but I always wake up the next morning to find myself still here and ready for the day. You and your husband are obviously a very strong unit and have a good core/family bond. You will get through this and your DH will find something that will make him happy. The biggest thing that you can do for him is what you are already doing. You have compassion and sympathy for his situation.... you understand that "manly" need to be the provider and understand how it can be so hard on his pride not to be. Just be patient, listen to him and offer him support in any way you can and it will take stress off of him so he can focus on doing what he feels he needs to do!

Good luck to you and your family!

momtobegrunden responded:
Sometimes, God has to lay us flat on our backs to get us to look up at him...

I will pray for your family as well!

DDK2005 responded:
I will be thinking & praying for your family. Your husband will get through this. It sounds like you guys are very supportive of eachother - you will pull thru. Sometime when one door closes another amazing one opens....sending positive thoughts your way!!

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Kim, your family is in my prayers.

I'm sorry things are so stressful, and that your DH is so devastated over all this. It sounds like he really enjoyed the more laid-back life rather than his high-stress job?

At any rate, yes, there will always be speed bumps in life but I truly believe that God will bring you through every situation and you will only grow from what you go through.

((HUGS))

jlcohen78 responded:
I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

mel07430 responded:
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

daisy729 responded:
I do understand that guys feel they are obligated to provide for their families and they feel like a failure if things don't go they way they hoped or planned. However, we do have our paths in life and maybe that summer away from his high stress job was just what he needed.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

alliegirl77 responded:
We will be praying for you. God never said the path was easy for sure. Sometimes His will involves stuff we just don't understand. Keep looking up and praying for His divine guidance.

ad1978 responded:
I won't be praying for you .... because you already have all that you need :)

You have your health (I hope), your family, your home, your safety.

You have your job back, and I'm sure DH will find one soon.

You have your faith, and family, and a whole world of opportunities ahead of you...even if this one didn't work out how you wanted, this doesn't mean you can't try and try again.

I think you are doing good, and it will only get better :)

KCAimee responded:
Kim....you make me think of the verses that are up on my frig:

James 1:2-3
"Consider it a pure joy when you face trials of many kinds because the testing of your faith produces perseverance"

These verses have gotten me through alot and truly mean alot to me. Hang in there. Thinking of you all.

Erica0731 responded:
Sweety, I am sorry you all are going throuh this. I will keep you all in my thoughts. My DH is struggling to find a job at the moment as well so I know how hard it can be.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Background about us: Tequila 4/10/91(4:43pm), currently pregnant with number 2 Trey'Quan 11/7/08(2:17pm) We Both seem to enjoy the art of eating f...More

Helpful Tips

Useful baby wipes
Baby wipes work wonders for removal of make up even mascara!!! They're great for cleaning the bathroom counters/sink real fast as well!! More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 51 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.