Skip to content

Announcements

You have a 1-Year-Old and endless questions?
Welcome! Join the group to learn, laugh and stay on track with your 1-year-old's growth and development.

Not pulling up/cruising?
gracesmom09 posted:
DD is going to be 1 in less than 2 weeks. She crawls and pulls up to her knees only. I try not to compare but I noticed that the other babies around her age are doing this. In fact one crawled over to me this morning and then pulled himself to standing using my pants, lol.

Should I be concerned? When did your children start pulling to standing? Grace has always done things about a month later and then she is off. So I don't know if she waits until she feels she can really do it or what. I am just worried though that this is something she should be doing.

Silver623 responded:
DD started pulling up and cruising several months ago. She will be 1 on Saturday and can walk across the room on her own. DS did this later than DD, he was closer to 13 months when he walked. All kids are different and I don't think there is really much you can do other than to cheer her on and make sure she has plenty of opportunity to practice pulling up. I'm sure you will have a 1 year check-up soon and your pedi will probably ask about it. She is probably just focused on mastering other skills right now but your pedi will let you know if there is reason for concern.

jlcohen78 responded:
I honestly can't remember exactly how old DS or DD was when she started pulling up and cruising. I want to say 8 or 9 months. They were both walking at 11 months old.

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned just yet. Bring it up at your well visit if you are. And you could always have her evaluated by early intervention. We just had both kids evaluated even though I knew in my heart that they weren't eligible. In my state the evaluation is free. Even if she doesn't qualify, they might give you tips on how to work with her. But I do agree with the PP --- she could just be focused on other skills.

gracesmom09 replied to jlcohen78's response:
Her 1 year appointment is on the 12th so I will bring it up then for sure. She is content to be crawling right now so I don't want to worry too much. Also she didn't start crawling until 10 months. It seems like she does everything a bit slower. So I wonder if that is a problem or just her personality?

cduffy replied to jlcohen78's response:
DD was about 10 mos when she started pulling up and cruising, but she didn't walk until 13 mos. Just bring it up at her year check up, but I doubt it's something to worry about just yet.

katieb426 responded:
Definitely bring it up at her appointment. Here are some other things you can check...

Does she bear any weight on her legs? If you hold her and try to get her to "stand", will she put her feet down?

For now, you can do some things to stimulate her feet and legs. Put her feet in rice, beans, or whatever you've got laying around. Tickle her feet- just anything to help desensitize her feet.

Massage her legs. I would do this at bedtime with Lilly. Just a nice gentle massage all up and down her legs and feet.

Try to get her bouncing or pushing off her feet. Make it a game, sing songs, or whatever you can do to incorporate it in to her play.

She might just be a little more of a late bloomer and that's totally normal. All the activities I suggested are good for any baby of any age! Hope it helps!

Momma2Ethan responded:
When Ethan was a year old, I too came on here wanting to to know what was wrong with my child! Ethan never crawled, just scooted on his bottom. The child did not walk until he was 15 months old! Scared me to death! :-) But he hasn't stopped since. Grace will be fine honey.

gracesmom09 replied to katieb426's response:
Oh yes she can stand. She will stand holding on to to me or even the couch or table. It's the actual getting herself to the stand position. I have to put her in position first and then she doesn't go anywhere just holds on and stands there. I think I may be worrying for no reason. lol. She is kind of stubborn. I will still bring up with the dr though.

katieb426 replied to gracesmom09's response:
Well, if it makes you feel better (probably not-lol!) Lilly is 19 months and at the exact same development as your LO. She is about the level of a 12 month old. So your LO sounds perfect.

Just another tip. Make sure when you have her in the standing position, her knees don't lock. You can give her a little pressure on her knees to help them bend and stay flexible. That will help her muscles develop and strengthen better. Then she'll have more muscle strength to walk and bring herself up to standing.

Funny, with my first 3 kids I took for granted that they just hit these milestones on their own. But with Lilly, we are really watching the process happen in slow motion!!

gracesmom09 replied to katieb426's response:
Thanks for your responses. Your information is great! It's hard not to compare when you see others the same age doing things that your child doesn't seem to be interested in yet.

robyn47001 responded:
My DD was the same way and now at 15 months she still isn't walking but does pull up on everything and and is trying to take a few steps. All babies are different, and as long as your ped isn't concerned I wouldn't be either.

leftcoastgirl responded:
Your LO sounds almost exactly like mine. She started crawling the day before she turned 11 months. When I took her to her 1-year appointment, she was only pulling up to her knees. (The pedi was not a bit concerned.) Within two weeks of the appointment, she was pulling up and cruising, and she walked at 15 months - which is on the late side, but completely normal.

She's now 21 months and runs all over the place. We're starting to work on somersaults. :)

Good luck!

Expecting_26 replied to leftcoastgirl's response:
Lilly didn't start crawling until she was 10 months. She started pulling herself up on things about the same time. She didn't start cruising until about 11 months so I think you LO is fine. She still doesnt' walk confidently by herself yet. She'll take a step here and there and she'll walk between DH and I but not much just by herself.

bellacullen responded:
DS wasn't really cruising until 12 months and is now 14.5 months and walking across the room on his own! I think your DD is just fine.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH & I are 26, live in Alabama and our first/only child, our son, turned 1 July 26, 2011! At birth he weighed 9 lbs 10 oz & was 21 inches l...More

Helpful Tips

Emocons
I know everyone is missing the smileys, so here are the different ways to type the smileys (just do not put spaces between the typed words ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.